View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I am not going to judge, as I don't know all the circumstances, or what breed the dog is BUT would it be wiser to find an enclosed field to run your boy in, rather than just letting him off in the woods?

If he runs, and you have no control over him, he is not only a danger to himself, but also a danger and a nuisance to other dog walkers who may have issues with their own dogs, and keep them on a lead.
It's nice for a dog to be a "free spirit" as you say, but surely they can still run in an enclosed area, a compromise I know, but a much safer way if his recall needs working on.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
However, things took an extremely bad turn for the worse. Ben went for my husband, did not bite him, but it was serious.
Im confused, he did not bite him, the dog gave him a fair warning? this from a dog with such a troubled start in life would not concern me, Human error is what I see,

It was due to Ben having had a very bad first 3 years of life where clearly he had not only been kept on a running line in the back garden, but had been beaten, kicked or struck in some way, following someone grabbing his collar and then hurting him. , and Ben went for him. In addition to this, he and Tai were having terrible fights, serious fights where Tai always got injured. On top of this, Ben started to run off, having previously been pretty obedient off lead. He never ran away, just ran off. Over the last 6 or so months, we have tried everything. We have consulted several dog trainers and behaviourists in the area and beyond, and we have explored every single training technique, knowing they would not work, but still desperate to give them a go and succeed
it sounds like you have totally blown the dogs mind, jumping from one technique to another, why on gods earth would you explore every technique if you new they would not work?? is it me or is that not just mental?

We were staring failure in the face – Ben was going to have to be kept on the lead the whole time, a fate that I am afraid I would not inflict on any dog, certainly a dog who had been confined to a running line in the back garden for 3 years.
I would think the best thing you could do for the poor wee fella is to attempt to find someone with the ability and knowledge to deal with him,
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im confused, he did not bite him, the dog gave him a fair warning? this from a dog with such a troubled start in life would not concern me, Human error is what I see,

Excellent point.

it sounds like you have totally blown the dogs mind, jumping from one technique to another, why on gods earth would you explore every technique if you new they would not work?? is it me or is that not just mental?

You're not mental - that got to me too.

I would think the best thing you could do for the poor wee fella is to attempt to find someone with the ability and knowledge to deal with him,
Yes. One type of training/regime and stick with it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yes. One type of training/regime and stick with it.
thank god its not just me, I do not have time to respond to the OP's whole opening post at this point there is just far to much to respond to,
but I will make an effort to get back to it asap
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:26 PM
feel sick & blame Adam Bloody palmer for this, for promoting bloody things on this site,The drip drip effect
THIS iswhat happens .

Im DISGUSTED in this, DISGUSTED

So all your Bloody CMing hasent worked has it?

& now youve had to go further.

Poor bloody dog. Where will it end? How HARD are you prepared to go?

Just Wait for the fallout, what it will be ? could be anything, i went to see a dog that was attacking his owner when people knocked on the door. SHe had been ecolared for jumping up
a year earlier, that was solved, but obviously ALL trust destoyed & now the fallout, MUCH more seroius.

From your description of chasing the dog around & calling, that is NOT how you get a dog to recall.

What exactly DIDyou try, if you tryed "everything",m how in 6 months can you have tryed "everything"
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

She apparently bred the dog, Shona, which is quite concerning to say the least.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
That has got to be the worst defence ever - the most Hateful thing CM ever did to that poor dog.

in 14 years of his life - to use him as a demo - shocking him

Disgraceful.
I've only read this far so am way behind (and not sure I will ever catch up!) but I agree, this was hateful and a betrayal of Daddy.

Wys
x
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Gnasher, You yourself said many times what an arsey git Hal was, why the hell did you use him at stud for gods sake? Did you expect his offspring to be easy to train dogs? What about all the other pups he sired any problems there I wonder or does it not bother you? Well Eddie was wrong when she thought you would make a good owner for these types of dogs wasn't she? I wonder if she would have agreed to the zapping of dogs to get them to conform to your wishes. In my opinion Ben should not be allowed off lead until you have sorted his issues out, if he is seriously attacking Tai then he could also do that to any dog he meets while running free. Or will you be zapping him for that behaviour as well?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't like to judge other people because as you pointed out, nobody but you knows what's really been going on for the past six months.

That said, three things come to mind:

1 - if you live in 'serious' sheep country, why did you even get a breed of dog that you knew had poor recall and that may well have to be kept on a long line, given that you also state keeping any dog on a line all the time is 'cruel'.....?

2 - I've had my rescue dog for nine months. His recall is still patchy. So yes - he stays on either a long line or an 8m Flexi.

Cruel?

I think not.

3 - you state that your dog 'yelped'.

Look at this way: if some random stranger kicked your dog and caused it to yelp, you'd probably go for them...

But your OH has made your dog yelp and here you are, defending him...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I am speechless at the ignorance shown in this thread----all this macho talk of 'wolf' crosses etc is just talk. There is no real knowledge to underpin it at all.

So very sad for the dog that he ended up with someone who not only bred him for no good reason but could then find no better way of handling him than to allow him to be abused.

Dreadful.

rune
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 83 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »