Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Moobli

I played around with one of them for you.....

All dead easy on Picasa which is a free download

Ooh thanks Fudgeley - that looks lovely.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
Moobli - you don't have to reduce the size of the photo at all to upload it onto here. What are you using?

Set yourself up with a Flickr account (easy and free) upload your photos to there. Then to download back onto here you just click on original, grap the link and post it. This forum automatically resizes it without loosing too much quality.

Most people seem to use photobucket but I much prefer Flickr - quicker and easier IMO

My daughter has a small Samsung and you can get really good pictures from it but experiment with the settings rather than use the automatic settings all the time

Have fun practising

PS: I admit though that with dial up whatever website you use is going to be slow
Sorry, I don't think I explained myself very well. I have to reduce the size to save them to photobucket, otherwise it would take too long ... it takes ages as it is Not sure Flickr would be any different?

I will definitely practise with the camera though, and see what I can come up with.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Awww beautiful, the third one is my fave.

I always search Flickr for ideas. You HAVE to get the famous special horse photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doug888...hrough_a_lens/
Thanks Akita. I like the second and the third pics the best I think. Highlands are soooo nosey that it is difficult to get any shots other than their face right in the middle of the piccie

Just had a look at the Flickr pic - wow!
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I think it's all in the crop....some of the best Horse photography (imo) has the focus on the eye, or just the head.
You are lucky as you have a lovely natural landscape...sometimes it can be distracting, but can be lost using depth of field (either on or off camera)
My friend is an ace Equine photographer & she usually sits in the field & watches for something to catch her eye. It's all about taking lots & persevering
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I think what you are asking is not s much getting a good quality photo, but more showing them off to their best advantage??

Horses are a blighter for getting a good shot of them, head on as in a couple, make them look all head, it over sizes the head and distorts the true picture, a wrong angle can make a neck look to short, a head to big, legs to stumpy ears back and so on.

I always find the best shots of horses (and dogs) will be the ones where they are alert, try and get someone to stand with a feed bucket, give it a shake , and put your camera on repeat then just keep snapping ,, you want them standing square , head up with ears pricked forward with a alert look on their face, if they are looking around they will be standing in a good natural pose.

You can try some from the side, or the front ( stand as far away as you can and use your zoom) or try slightly of centre, and see what you get.

If you have a good action setting on your camera, you can progress into getting them on the move, again get their attention, and call them in......try......come onnnnnnn!!!!yip yip yip , or similar, (thats how I would call in).

I think as long as you have them alert , you should get some good pics.

Good luck

BTW, they look great.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Dont know if anyone has got or seen this, but some fabulous shots here.

Equus by Tim Flach

He also does a dog one

Dogs by Tim Flach

Both on Amazon.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
I think it's all in the crop....some of the best Horse photography (imo) has the focus on the eye, or just the head.
You are lucky as you have a lovely natural landscape...sometimes it can be distracting, but can be lost using depth of field (either on or off camera)
My friend is an ace Equine photographer & she usually sits in the field & watches for something to catch her eye. It's all about taking lots & persevering
Thanks for the advice Lorraine. I will try and be a bit more creative with cropping the pics.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think what you are asking is not s much getting a good quality photo, but more showing them off to their best advantage??

Horses are a blighter for getting a good shot of them, head on as in a couple, make them look all head, it over sizes the head and distorts the true picture, a wrong angle can make a neck look to short, a head to big, legs to stumpy ears back and so on.

I always find the best shots of horses (and dogs) will be the ones where they are alert, try and get someone to stand with a feed bucket, give it a shake , and put your camera on repeat then just keep snapping ,, you want them standing square , head up with ears pricked forward with a alert look on their face, if they are looking around they will be standing in a good natural pose.

You can try some from the side, or the front ( stand as far away as you can and use your zoom) or try slightly of centre, and see what you get.

If you have a good action setting on your camera, you can progress into getting them on the move, again get their attention, and call them in......try......come onnnnnnn!!!!yip yip yip , or similar, (thats how I would call in).

I think as long as you have them alert , you should get some good pics.

Good luck

BTW, they look great.
Thanks for all that Jackie - some excellent tips. I will definitely be having a play with the camera and dogs/horses later.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I agree with stand further away and use your zoom, it reduces the big head little body look. My pony always sticks his tounge out / closes his eyes / trys to look like an abandoned donkey when I try and get photos of him
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 07:33 PM
wow shes really nice, I do like!!!

I must go and find a thread with all her info on it,

with horses I often find just taking as many as possible and hoping that one in 100 photos will turn out ok, I have never managed to get fab photos,

what I did find that helped with Alana's grey connemara mare was to take the photos from a distance with a decent camera that you could then zoom in on and crop, level ground can help as you say ponys dont often look best from above,
but im still loving her lol
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2