Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Bakers is one of the worst dog foods available
none of the cheap stuff is great but i was told you should change a puppie's food gradually so you dont give them tummy upset, I think he'd just refuse to eat anything as well.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Someone who has one of my dogs feeds her two dogs the same meal as they eat. She just makes for 4 instead of two.

They are both veterans and very healthy, I think the only thing to watch is too much salt or spice.

Personally I would prefer to feed left overs rather than Bakers if they were the only two choices.
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Someone who has one of my dogs feeds her two dogs the same meal as they eat. She just makes for 4 instead of two.

They are both veterans and very healthy, I think the only thing to watch is too much salt or spice.

Personally I would prefer to feed left overs rather than Bakers if they were the only two choices.
Thanks, think weaning might be a lenghty process though so I'm gonna try and do gradually when he's a bit older. Never known a dog with labrador genes to be a fussy eater lol.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by gemma1984 View Post
You're right I am currently lining thier pockets but i didn't want to change Milo's food so early on and upset his tummy, i think the move alone did that.
I tried him on the dry food, even soaked it cos I throught it was too hard but he just turned his nose up.
I can't afford to give him fresh meat every day so I bought some tins as a last resort to get him eating regularly, the vet said he was just being fussy.
mixed in just enough to coat the biscuits and hey presto!
luckily no runs, only when he ate some of his rope toy, but do want to get him off the tins.
So hard to find a good food that's not too expensive, that they actually like!
Off cuts from the butchers is a really good idea!
I wouldn't resort to adding things to get the dogs to eat their dinner. Put the biscuits down for 20 minutes on a regular interval EG: 8am, 11am, 3pm, 5pm (or whenever he is fed) and if he hasn't eaten it within them 20 minutes - it gets taken up and he goes hungry til his next meal. You wouldn't allow a child to pick and choose what they ate, my mum always said, you'll eat what is put in front of you or not at all. (But I am still a fussy eater) but a dog won't be like me. By adding things to his meal - you are accommodating his fussiness.

If you want a better food, still commercial but was brilliant for Louie until we found CSJ, Harringtons puppy food or even better straight for the CSJ (It's about £10 per 15KG so won't break the bank and will last you a while). Changing food takes two weeks, so you won't (hopefully) get runs. I usually do three weeks of changing food, just because Louie has a funny tummy.
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I wouldn't resort to adding things to get the dogs to eat their dinner. Put the biscuits down for 20 minutes on a regular interval EG: 8am, 11am, 3pm, 5pm (or whenever he is fed) and if he hasn't eaten it within them 20 minutes - it gets taken up and he goes hungry til his next meal. You wouldn't allow a child to pick and choose what they ate, my mum always said, you'll eat what is put in front of you or not at all. (But I am still a fussy eater) but a dog won't be like me. By adding things to his meal - you are accommodating his fussiness.

If you want a better food, still commercial but was brilliant for Louie until we found CSJ, Harringtons puppy food or even better straight for the CSJ (It's about £10 per 15KG so won't break the bank and will last you a while). Changing food takes two weeks, so you won't (hopefully) get runs. I usually do three weeks of changing food, just because Louie has a funny tummy.
Cool thanks, I'll look out for those.
I guess I just assumed he's be a greedy lil pup but he's more of a grazer. Thought it was better to have a routine than leave food out for him.
I'll give those others a go.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by gemma1984 View Post
You're right I am currently lining thier pockets but i didn't want to change Milo's food so early on and upset his tummy, i think the move alone did that.
I tried him on the dry food, even soaked it cos I throught it was too hard but he just turned his nose up.
I can't afford to give him fresh meat every day so I bought some tins as a last resort to get him eating regularly, the vet said he was just being fussy.
mixed in just enough to coat the biscuits and hey presto!
luckily no runs, only when he ate some of his rope toy, but do want to get him off the tins.
So hard to find a good food that's not too expensive, that they actually like!
Off cuts from the butchers is a really good idea!
How old is this dog?

Dogs are not born fussy (they eat their own and other faecal matter, lick their own bottoms, and are natural scavengers) So I would offer him food at his meal times (however many times a day you are feeding him) give him 20 mins, and then remove it. Dont add water/wet food etc. He will not starve himself if he is offered food regularly (iirc, this is a lab x?)

Bakers/Ped chum are terrible foods (full of colours, cereals etc, plus colour preservatives and additives.

Good quality dried foods, often work out cheaper than these lower quality foods, because you feed so little of it
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
How old is this dog?

Dogs are not born fussy (they eat their own and other faecal matter, lick their own bottoms, and are natural scavengers) So I would offer him food at his meal times (however many times a day you are feeding him) give him 20 mins, and then remove it. Dont add water/wet food etc. He will not starve himself if he is offered food regularly (iirc, this is a lab x?)

Bakers/Ped chum are terrible foods (full of colours, cereals etc, plus colour preservatives and additives.

Good quality dried foods, often work out cheaper than these lower quality foods, because you feed so little of it
He's 11 weeks, lab x collie, I'm out half the day so really wanted a routine before going back to work, knowing that he'd eaten before I left him.
what your saying is right, have some time off soon so think I'm gonna look out for some better food and get rid of the meat.
I've heard Wags is quite good, have you heard of that?
My sister in law feeds it to her lab and he loves it.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 03:52 PM
personally, if this were my dog I would just switch. I wouldnt bother "weaning", rather deal with pooy bum than feed bakers!

Wagg imho is rubbish too. Burns, Orijen, Robbies Holistic,Royal Canin, JWB grain free are good dried.
Applaws, Nature Diet/Menu wet
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 04:52 PM
hey guys,hear is something to think about ...prior to 1954 there was no such thing as a can of dog food....hummmmm....dogs seemed to be more heathy,so my grand father tells me.....fed from the table!....im a firm believer that they should only eat meat, grains and vegitables have made there way into cans and bags, fillers so to speek....iv got 2 dogos and 2 pits. one of my dogos is on raw because of allergeys due to fooods, i think should not be in a bag,,,,,there k9s!!!!!! meat eaters...and yes i know that nutients in plants are benificial but in my opinion ...not requiered.....just a thought....
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:00 PM
When I was growing up in the sixties, our family beagle was fed on horse meat! My mum used to boil it up until, one day, she went out and left it on the cooker! She came home to a kitchen covered in grease and full of smoke and a poor coughing beagle! He had a very dry, scurfy coat anyway as a result of his diet and my parents were advised to feed him tinned food which was a great relief all round!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »