Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Cysts

Any advice? I have a 4 yr old elkie who has suffered from the odd small cyst.They have usually bust and then I have expressed and cleaned them and they have gone. However he had one a few weeks back which has developed into a large lump.1 is now about 2inches across and ssems to be slightly painful when pushed.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Best see the vet Nikki, it may go down on it's own or the vet may be able to draw the content off if it is not too thick. Have one of my dogs prone to them and he has had to have one removed although others have bust and drained without any trouble apart from the interest of the others.
Topdog
Dogsey Junior

31-01-2005, 03:49 AM
BLUE VIOLET
Detox, tumours, USE sparingly - can be too aggressive in stimulation for Lymphoma in humans, but dogs handle it a little better.*
Blue Violet Leaf is used with Red Clover as a Detoxifier and blood cleanser. A Herbal cleanser for pets who have a toxic reaction to the Annual Vaccinations.*
E.g. Skin problems, tumours, behaviour reaction/aggravations, lethargic, vomiting, shivering, loss of appetite and fever.
* Use it for Cancer, Tumours ( external / internal or oral ), Cysts, Boils and Abscesses, Skin Cancer, and Chronic Skin diseases.
* Highly recommended for any animal that has chronic or acute skin or digestive or respiratory problems and have been vaccinated annually.*
If pet has never been well since the last vaccine. or has itchy skin - Use Vaccine Detox Drops
see full article: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/herbs.htm

Lavender (Lavendula officinalis syn. angustifolia) and tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) essential oils cross over as a key components of an herbal first aid kit for both humans and animals. A single drop of lavender essential oil is all that is recommended for treating cysts and abrasions which have been thoroughly cleaned. An abscess may be brought to a head with a drop of tea tree oil. Then, after it has drained, a drop of lavender will help speed healing.
see full article:
http://www.consciouschoice.com/herbs/herbs1207.html

RED CLOVER - This herb is a powerful blood purifier and is especially beneficial for skin conditions. It also has expectorant properties making it beneficial for coughs and bronchitis. This wonderful herb has proven useful in removing tumours and cysts, but is best used under supervi sion of a qualified practitioner. It also has oestrogenic effects, which may affect those with hormonal imbalances
see full article:
http://greenpet.com.au/article_herbs.php

Ozone or H2O2 3% can be used to oxidize many inorganic and organic impurities as well as inactivate bacteria, viruses and cysts.

Apple cider vinegar inside and out is supposed to help...

good luck...
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Not sure we are thinking of the same sort of cysts. Those common in the Elkhound are caused by the sebaceous gland becoming blocked and then filling with sebaceous fluid which over time becomes thick and then on occasion infected. Unless they burst they are not open to the skin surface, if they were they would not be a cyst, they would then be a normal healthy sebaceous gland.

Have found that once it is open Dermisol liquid or hydrogen peroxide, is useful in keeping the wound open allowing it to drain and to heal from the inside outward, you should not encourage the healing of the surface as that just traps further excretions of sebaceous fluid before the infection has cleared. In some cases removal of the gland is needed if the problem is to be stopped from reoccurring in the same place.

It would seem it is one of the health problems that is inherited but is not at the moment felt serious enough to exclude these animals from the breeding stock, it is though, if your dog suffers, a real nuisance.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks both of you.
Asa is not bad ...but I have seen a bitch who is covered in very large ugly cysts.When stroking her it is quite stomach turning....poor little sole....however they don't seem to bother them most of the time
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Bet you can guess which of mine has a problem
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Probably
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Well just to update...
Asa's cyst became very sore.so much so that I was thinking of leaving him at home at the weekend since I don't think he would have liked the judge touching him ...but it had developed a hole although it didn't 'weep' any puss and I couldn't express any in order to clean it....so I brought some pure Tea tree oil last night and applied some this morning when I got in from work.Checked it when I got up at 12 o'clock and ITS SMALLER!!!! Its less firm and less painful! I'm astonished...will let you know how things go in the next couple of days.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 04:15 PM
UPDATE....ITS GONE!!!!!!!!
The tea tree worked a miracle! It shrank after the first application and then continued to do so and is now no more!
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Archer tea tree oil is great for everything on the skin i used it on my dog for intertoe digital cysts and it cleared them up .... i started using it after seeing it was in a medication that i used to clear up skin problems on wild tropical fish i bring in ...it was healing them in 1 to 2 days
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >