View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lckerry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:38 PM

He's scratching but hasn't got fleas (how to spot signs of fleas)

My little dog Harry has been scratching quite alot over the last couple of weeks. I have checked him all over but can't see any fleas. I even washed him with flea shampoo just incase. Does anyone have any idea what it could be.
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:46 PM
What age is Harry?
Tracie
lckerry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by scotbun1
What age is Harry?
Tracie
4 and a half
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Hello there I can't remember what you feed Harry on ? As I said before in view of Harry's history I can't help but think his troubles both inside and out are related to some kind of allergy and I would go for a food with a minimum amount of additives ...if a complete something like Burns fish with brown rice or the Arden Grange fish based food. Has Harry stopped vomiting so much now ?

If there is coat loss as well as itching with no visible signs of pests maybe a visit to the vet for a skin scrape would be a good idea. Again I do not want to suggest a lot because of Harrys odd history
lckerry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi Minihaha, thanks for your reply. Harry is doing really well at the moment, he hasn’t been sick for weeks now. He has put on about 2lbs in weight, which is fantastic.
It could be my imagination, but I do think he is scratching a little more than usual. I haven’t changed his diet, he still eats chicken and Bakers complete, which he loves.
My Dad looks after Harry when I’m at work, and last week he found he was covered in bites all over his legs. He asked me to checked Harry for fleas which I did. As I expected Harry didn’t have fleas, I often check him.
I am regularly checking Harry’s skin and I haven’t found anything yet. Harry hasn't lost any of his coat.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by lckerry
My Dad looks after Harry when I’m at work, and last week he found he was covered in bites all over his legs. He asked me to checked Harry for fleas which I did. As I expected Harry didn’t have fleas, I often check him.
I am regularly checking Harry’s skin and I haven’t found anything yet. Harry hasn't lost any of his coat.
That would seem to suggest some form of biting insect eg fleas. You may not see any on his coat, as most tend to live off the dog eg in carpets/furnishings.

Please have a look at this article: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/dog...nts_20146.html
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Yes it does sound like fleas if your Dad has got bites...
to check for fleas stand Harry on a piece of white sheet/old pillowcase and run your hands through his coat..if little black specs fall out put one on a damp tissue and it will turn the tissue dark reddish brown from the consumed blood if it is flea dirt.
If you think it is fleas I would check Harrys bedding daily, comb him with a fine toothed comb, hoover everywhere daily and spray the area with a flea spray from the vet. I would however think carefully and take advice from the vet before using any flea treatments on Harry because of his odd medical history.
Now he has settled down at last I would not want to disturb that ..I would normally say give him garlic but again I would not wish to upset him...the only thing I would risk is a bath with a good Tee tree oil shampoo and wipe a little pure Tee tree oil on the comb when you comb him daily . If you find any live fleas you have to squish them between your nails or something hard to kill them
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Does sound like fleas and I would purchase a treatment from your vet to see if that clears the problem. If it does not it is a case for the vet as skin problems are not only very common but very difficult to diagnose, even vets sometimes find it impossible and have to resort to controlling the condition by treating the symptoms rather than the condition.

If it is fleas the sooner it is controlled the better and a dog that is bitten frequently may develop an allergic reaction to being bitten. Often the flea is a cat flea and if he comes into contact with a cat that must be treated too, as should your home and that of your Dad.