Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
weppler1978
New Member!
Male 

29-04-2017, 12:56 AM

Help Coughing & Diarrhea

My 4 year old faux-frenchie started with diarrhea a little over a week ago. I fasted him for 24 hours and put him on rice and chicken. Worked. After several days went back on normal food everything was fine but he started a cough, dry, nothing coming up. Went away after a day though so didn't think much of it.

Now yesterday diarrhea started again, this time I noticed small amounts of bright red in some of it, not a lot just a spot here and there. Was gone all day today with work came home to TONS of diarrhea, in little spots, must have been a hundred of them, and several bright red spots. And he was coughing a lot as he was super excited. Calmed him down and he stopped coughing.

Now he has had not change in his energy, eating habits, or drinking. Just the coughing and diarrhea. Which I know is enough that I need to take him in. I guess my question is I liv ein the booneys and its a long long way to a 24 hour clinic. Any thoughts as to what this could be? Hes quietly sitting next to me now, not coughing, trying to get me to play with im but I'm trying to keep him calm.

I appreciate any input at all.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2017, 08:10 AM
With blood in the stools he does need to get to the vets pronto. With that amount of diarrhoea you also need to get plenty of fluids into him as he could well be dehydrating.
weppler1978
New Member!
Male 

30-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Put him on chicken and rice diet answers no more diarrhea. He's eating and drinking from plenty. He is still coughing though. I don't think its kennel cough though as it's been a week bandbox our other dog is fine and they have been very restricted with no access to parks or other dogs for at least a few months just our property. Also he only coughs when excited or active.
weppler1978
New Member!
Male 

02-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Took to vet. Overall good shape. They are running some tests and won't have results till tomorrow but they think the coughing is tracheal collapse and have given some stuff for that and suggest based on the diarrhea that we keep him on chicken and rice a couple more days and work food back in. Will update once havebresults in case there is a parasite present.
swearondog
New Member!
Male 

10-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Please take him to a vet.. Stool in blood is not a good sign.