Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pagirl
New Member!
Female 

26-04-2017, 11:04 PM

Housebreaking a rescue

Hello all and thank you in advance for your time and tips!
Early January I rescued a Pitt/lab mix. I have had several dogs in my 46 years so am not inexperienced with dogs. Buddy is a sweet boy with one different issue, house breaking! He is 3-4 years and the SPCA had no information about his past since he was found skinny and alone on the streets. He is crate trained for when I'm at work. I do try at all times to keep him close to me when he isn't in his crate and for two months kept him on a leash with me inside the house. Well let's be honest here, one can't constantly have a dog either crated or leashed. If I even simply step outside to check mail, answer the door, fill the bird feeder, he will pee or poop in the house even if he had just been outside to do his business. I am at my wits end as to how to stop this. When he goes outside I praise him and it's nothing health related as I had all that checked out. I think he's very insecure and I would never ditch him because of this, but wow my house is reality starting to smell and natures miracles isn't helping! Thanks again all!!
Pagirl
New Member!
Female 

26-04-2017, 11:05 PM
Oh and yes he gets walked every day unless it's pouring out.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Go right back to basics as if he was a puppy. Use a word when he is outside and doing what ever he is doing. Use a different word for peeing such as do wee wees good boy and if the other hurry up be quick good boy as he goes. Don't use these words indoors. If he has an accident indoors put him outside or at least away from where he has been and clean it up with a non bio solution or white vinegar. Hope that helps.
Pagirl
New Member!
Female 

27-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Oh I'm already doing those tips but thanks. He was very neglected and when I got him didn't even know simple sit, shake commands. Well now he can sit, stay, speak, shake, now of only he'd stop peeing when he's upset. He never pees in his crate and just has anxiety if I step outside or even leave the room. He's my shadow. Poor guy I mean who can blame him after what he's been through.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2017, 05:25 PM
If he follows you to that extent use it to your advantage and say to him come on then lets go out for a wee/poo and then tell him he is good for going. Then come back in and settle him in his place for resting and gradually move away telling him he is good for staying there. Build up distance each time until you can go behind a door, keep checking that he has remained there. He will eventually settle, just takes sometimes longer. Forget the paw giving and concentrate on the toileting issue more for now or else he will get vibes from you about it if he goes wrong. Owners try not to show that they are cross but can't always disguise it.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
If he follows you to that extent use it to your advantage and say to him come on then lets go out for a wee/poo and then tell him he is good for going. Then come back in and settle him in his place for resting and gradually move away telling him he is good for staying there. Build up distance each time until you can go behind a door, keep checking that he has remained there. He will eventually settle, just takes sometimes longer. Forget the paw giving and concentrate on the toileting issue more for now or else he will get vibes from you about it if he goes wrong. Owners try not to show that they are cross but can't always disguise it.
Sounds like very good advice if I may say so. When Pagirl goes out to fill the bird feeder or check the mail, I can't see why her dog couldn't go with her and get positive reinforcement for doing his business outdoors.

Answering the door might be a little different depending on how the dog or the caller. I always let mine go to the door with me if someone knocks. The dog hears it before I do and I like having his 80lb presence should it be needed.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2017, 04:10 AM
Going behind the door was just for the following about. If the door bell goes then yes the dog could go with the owner as long as the dog is not an escape artist. Better to shut the dog in a room before answering the door if not able to keep dog running off.