Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jwp
New Member!
Male 

13-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Potty Training Issues

Hi All,

Looking for some feedback on issues we're having with our Irish Setter puppy. He is a little over 4 months old and we really just don't seem to be making very far with his potty training.

As background info, he did have a UTI that was confirmed to have cleared up over a week ago but we are having #1 and #2 issues on a daily basis.

To use an example from today - I went downstairs after having him in his crate overnight from about 10:30 pm - 6:30 am and in that time he had peed and pooped and was laying in his pee. I'm certain various folks will say that we're expecting him to stay in his crate too long without having an accident at night, but according to our vet if he is asleep overnight he should be fine for 8 hours. About every other night it's all clear, so I know that he can do it. As an additional note, he is out of his crate nearly all day long as my wife works from home and he gets PLENTY of exercise in the evenings when we are both home. Every night he does go to his crate pretty sleepy.

The biggest problem I feel is that he has absolutely no issue with laying in whatever mess he has made and appears to not care at all about holding it and waiting to go outside. He had an accident in my wife's office about 20 minutes after her taking him outside and trying with him for a few minutes. She put him in his crate while she cleaned it up (he likes to "help") and in just that 5-10 minutes he had gone again in his crate and had laid back down in it.

In summary: we're looking for an understanding why this behavior is normal for him and how to break him of it. We know he has the ability to hold it.

Thanks!
SusieRainbow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I wouldn't normally say a 4 month old puppy could hold his bladder for 8 hours. But if you say he has done it before then fine. I think he just needs time to settle back into routine. I would do what I did when Lola and Harley were puppies I let them out every 4 hours and gradually started doing it for longer and longer. Was he toilet trained before the UTI?

Hope this helps,

Susie

x
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2017, 10:19 PM
I agree. You are expecting too much from this puppy. He will learn to lie in his pee if he has no alternative.
Liza Connie
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Give him some time!
Liza Connie
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2017, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
I agree. You are expecting too much from this puppy. He will learn to lie in his pee if he has no alternative.
Well said!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Be more proactive in his training, take him out more frequently and praise profusely when he gets it right. Just because he spends lots of time out of his crate doesn't mean he automatically knows to go outside. As for lasting 8 hours without a wee well I can't so why should a puppy with a tiddly bladder manage.
His behaviour isn't unique to him it's normal for all puppies until they have been taught to do otherwise.
betsypaw1
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Hi there,

I know this is an extremely frustrating time. I went through it with Hersey and sometimes the best thing to remember is to be as patient as possible, and then a little more!

Try to establish a strict schedule for eating as well as using the restroom. If he starts going, try your best to rush him outside. If your wife is at home, hopefully she can implement the schedule. He needs to know that the crate is only for sleeping. Also, he could be eating or drinking too much? Research portion control and only give treats when you are rewarding him for good behavior.

I know it seems like a lot, but as you've probably heard, a new puppy is like a child, and even harder because of the communication barrier. Here is a website that has lots of blogs and other resources like ebooks for puppy training. [link removed] They also have great dogs toys! I've tried them out and Hersey loves them. Best of luck to you and your pup!
petsforall
New Member!
Male 

15-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Teaching a new puppy to potty at the right time and place is one of the most important first steps you can take for a long, happy life together. House soiling is among the top reasons why dogs lose their homes or end up in shelters. Few people are willing to put up with a dog who destroys rugs and flooring, or who leaves a stinky mess that you have to clean after a hard day at work. That's why it's so important to make sure that you do some research in advance, decide what will work best for your own situation, and make a plan.
There are three tried-and-true methods for training your puppy
crate training
frequent trips outdoors
paper training
LizC
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2017, 11:19 PM
I agree with the others, take him out more frequently and try to establish a schedule. I have to tell you though, now that he has become accustomed to sleeping in his pee potty training will be more difficult.
ann.sam.08
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Going off of what other people have said I think giving the pup some more time to adjust to a specific schedule even if it means taking him out a couple times in the middle of the night but slowly reducing how many times you take him out over time. Also, positive reinforcement is always helpful when your puppy does do his business outside through treats or just some extra love and negative reinforcement when he has an accident. This a good and effective way of training the pup to know where and when it is ok to do his business.