Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 04:06 PM

No wonder they get bitten

Well I have been keeping a close eye on the puppy next door and she seems to be ok,mother when around is actually starting to correct the naughty kids of hers.

Anyway one of the boys,nearly 10 was out with her today,on his own He proceeded to pull her ears and then when she nipped him he smacked her around the face shouting no
Then he pulled off his sock and was throwing that around for the pup,he then chased her to get it off her,but the only way he could catch her was by grabbing and pulling her tail

The just don't seem to have any respect whatsoever.

I was also thinking I wonder how common it is for parents to still be leaving dogs and kids together,for kids to behave like above and then the dog gets the blame for biting unruly child
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
poor dog and poor kids how are they suppose to learn how to act around animals if they are never show how to. once again adults error could result in another child being injured =(
ATD x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Sad for both puppy and children. It must doing your head in Sal watching it going on.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
At a gamefair today I watched a child repeatedly kicking their young dog who was under the table - the dog kept jerking away and the mother who was holding the lead slapped the dog for pulling away, when she went to slap the dog again I went over and told her WHY the dog was pulling - little **** of a child was still kicking the dog - the mother shrugged and said 'they're course with him...'

WTH?

I must admit at the surgery I have bluntly told several children if they pinch the dog again I will pinch them.

Sadly, on so many occasions these dogs snap one day and up euthanised - really winds me up.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh, that poor pup
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
At a gamefair today I watched a child repeatedly kicking their young dog who was under the table - the dog kept jerking away and the mother who was holding the lead slapped the dog for pulling away, when she went to slap the dog again I went over and told her WHY the dog was pulling - little **** of a child was still kicking the dog - the mother shrugged and said 'they're course with him...'

WTH?

I must admit at the surgery I have bluntly told several children if they pinch the dog again I will pinch them.

Sadly, on so many occasions these dogs snap one day and up euthanised - really winds me up.
I share your anger and frustatration! I have seen similar. Unbelievable that the mother's reaction was as you say.

Well perhaps it's not - it's almost par for the course. Poor poor dog. When I was a child, I had empathy for animals and cared for them, I'd have been upset seeing an animal hurt.

Why do kids do this, is it for attention or for control??

Wys
x
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
We live in a tiny village in the country - there aren't many houses and we don't have close neighbours - but we heard the hens making a noise a couple of weeks ago and went out to find 2 local kids pelting them with stones. I got my 19y old daughter to go behind the dry stone dyke through the field and I went the other way round and both were caught and cornered. I marched them to their respective homes and told the parents what had happened and that they had 2 options - 1 - I called the Police or 2 - they 'worked' for me for a week with the animals. Relieved both parents chose option 2 and these kids got 'animal boot camp' - they picked up poo, cleaned out and got to know the animals (and we have lots). I got permission from both parents to give them a very stern talking to - all I can say is that I hope to God, they have learned a lesson...at least in this case both sets of parents were not in denial and both wanted the child punished appropriately.

Obviously not in every case - but I firmly believe that hurting animals can lead to other things.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
It is scary. What goes through their minds while slapping/hurting an animal? What pleasure do they get? Where will it lead...makes you worry for society.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:24 AM
I have no idea why they do it,mine were 14,10 and 9 when we brought Tyler and Meg home as 8 week old puppies,having grown up with pups and dogs and been taught how to behave around them,they knew what not to do, and how to treat them.

It's very frustrating watching,o/h commented and said it's like they have a new toy