Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noony09
New Member!
Male 

05-06-2009, 10:08 PM

Dog bitten by rat

my dog is a cairn terrier crossed with a yorkshire terrier and yesterday he caught a rat but in the procees of doing this the rat has bitten fim on the face there was blood but i dont know who off him or the rat but it was by him wound it doesnt seem to look deep but will he be ok what should i do ? Write back Shaun.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Just keep the wound clean if there is one, you should be able to find it. Use salt water but not strong, if worried take your dog to the Vet.
Noony09
New Member!
Male 

05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
thanks that will be useful i will try that and will it matter if he has had the rat in his mouth he has had his injections but my uncles jack russel died when it caught a rat because it was biting its tail off and the rat urinated in his mouth but could gizmo catch any diseases off the rat and to note aswell the rat is living indoors and i have a suspicion they have been here for a few years but if they havent been living outside much then will he have less chance of catching a disease? Write back please Shaun.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 12:17 AM
My worry would be if the rat had eaten rat poison, then there might be a risk to the dog. It might be worth ringing your vet to ask? Was the rat itself healthy and was there any poison nearby?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 05:29 AM
To be safe I would just ring and check with my vet.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 05:37 AM
To be fair if your dog has been vaccinated it should be fine, the only worry would be Leptospirosis, but the vacccs cover this. My Dogs go ratting and frequently get bitten.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 06:04 AM
I would take Borderdawn's advice. If you are still worried, please call your vet for further advice.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Contrary to their reputation, rats have very clean mouths and rat bites are rarely dangerous, unlike cat or dog bites for instance. I rescued, kept and bred rats for years and have done a lot of research on domestic and wild rats.

Rat urine can contain diseases such as Weils disease and salmonella, but this is rare and in quantities too small to pass on through the urine of just one rat, streams and pools near to rat colonies are more likely to build up sufficient quantities of these diseases to pose a risk to other animals and humans.

The more dangerous thing is that most wild rats have an extreme tolerance of rat poisons and therefore build up a large amount of the toxins in the poisons in their system before it comes anywhere close to killing them. Again, this will not be in their bite, but is a problem if your dog either eats the rat or a large amount of it's urine.

Keep an eye on the wound to make sure it does not infect, but it is unlikely the rat would have passed anything through the bite.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Rats are clean but my only worry would be if they were poisoned, just keep an eye on them and the wounds clean. If they show any signs of poisoning get them to the vet ASAP. we lost 2 dogs on the farm due to poisoned rats!
Noony09
New Member!
Male 

07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone there hasnt been no poison in this house and i think they have been here for longer than the poison would take to kill the rat as they have been here for a few months and now they have had babies not gona let the dog go near them leave it to the cat haha the cat has killed 2 babies and 2 adults within the last 2 weeks and the dog has got one i think there are about 2 left but the cat just never stops hunting for them will keep you up to date on his wound and thanks borderdawn for the advice on the salt water seems to be working and no signs on infection .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >