Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2010, 04:50 PM

Follow up care after speying?

ruby was speyed on friday and when i picked her up i was given a buster collar and some recovery food for her, also was told to keep her on lead walks until her sitches are out and was made an appointment for 10 days time to have the sitches out

i was just wondering if this is normal that there is no check up a couple of days later to check how its healing

whats making me wonder is today its four days later and the wound hasnt bothered her she has been bouncing about like a mad thing (we have tryed to keep this to a minimun but its really difficult) today ruby hasnt had her collar on much as we have been in all day with her but when we just turned are back on her for 5 mins she has been licking at the stiches and a tiny anount of blood is on her bed ( just a few spots) i would of thought that it should be healing up now so there would be no blood there
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure how long it takes to properly 'heal' but we were given the same rules for Kia (check up after 10 days and lead walks) and her wound healed fine

Just make sure there is no major bleeding and try your best to keep them from bouncing about too much (Kia didn't like this rule either ). It is hard but try your best to keep her from the stitches. If nothing else, it will heal faster without her attacking it!

I'm not an expert, just going by our pup, so all I can do is wish you good luck! And if in doubt, call your vet!

Sarah xoxox
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2010, 10:52 PM
thanks yeah ruby has really not got on with the keeping quiet rule and despite my best efforts i think she has done too much shes not done anything to the stiches but she isnt herself tonight shes slept all night not even looking up when we go in the kitchen where she is so im going to see what shes like in the morning and it might be a trip to the vets hopefully not as shes not the best in the vets way way to excitable
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Sounds like Ruby is a tad over-enthusiastic about her recovery..... i suppose recommending you keep her calm will have little effect, as she is such a bouncy girl.

I can only say to keep a close eye on the wound, and if it starts to bleed more, or to look sticky or messy, then take her back to the vets.

Good luck!

x0x
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Tilly had to go back for a check a few days later but I suppose some vets will do that and some will just assume you'll return if theres a problem. As for keeping her quiet, good luck! They said the same to me. Keep a six month old terrier pup quiet? She was doing the wall of death around the living room after a couple of days!! Try lots of chews and things like stuffed kongs are good. Anything that keeps her still for five minutes. If its just a few spots of blood, I wouldnt worry to much. It probably is healing fine but just keep an eye on it. The worse thing was when we took her back to have the stitches out, the vet said keep her on the lead for another week!! Tilly was not ammused!
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
After 4 days her stitches are probally starting to knit tighter now so they will be niggling her.
But as you say she's not herself I think i'd be taking her back to the vet for a checkup, just to make sure the wound is healing right and there's no sign on infection etc.. Fingers crossed Ruby feels better soon xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I was just wondering if this is normal that there is no check up a couple of days later to check how its healing
Hi Louise I think if vets recommended this routinely they would be accused of trying to make money .

I guess they take the view it is up to the owner to keep an eye on the wound to check it looks clean and healthy (no excessive redness/weeping/swelling) and that the dog is bright/allert/eating/peeing and pooing etc. If you have any concerns I would ring the vet.
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
thanks for all the replies
ruby seems a lot brighter this morning back to bouncing off the walls but im going to keep her at the bottom of the stairs all day where she has her bed and food and water so that she cant bounce around (i feel really mean but its for her own good ) and keep an eye on her wound its not bleeding and looks clean just a little pink around the stitches, but a good pink not a bad pink if if you get what im trying to say ie it doesnt look infected or anything
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I had some watery blood spots on Zena's bedding for about a week after her spey, but she had other problems too coz the wound flared up 5 days afterwards due to a reaction to those dissolvable stitches, so I'm sure it's ok. I once had a dog who opened them up by jumping into the car the very next day and I had to rush her over to the vets, where they dispersed a huge pocket of blood under there between the two layers of stitches.

Now one thing I WILL emphasize is, DO keep her quiet, don't let her jump up on anything even though it's been 4 days, because I heard a real horror story from my friend this morning about another friend's dog and what happened when she jumped on the sofa 4 days after her spey, and you just wouldn't want to hear it!!!! PLEASE, keep her as quiet as you can until the vet says it's all ok and the stitches can come out, it's imperative after what I just heard! Good luck, it'll all be over soon when those stitches come out, and keep the wound nice and clean all around it, not on it, but around it. I put a small vest on my dog to take her up the road for a short walk, just to stop the dirt kicking up on it, and it's well worth the effort.
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2010, 10:17 PM
well i couldnt get it out of my head that she had done something to those stitches as her belly looked funny its like saggy like its been stretched then let go so we went for a little trip to the vets he managed to get a look at the wound and have a feel and its not infected and is healing ok but it is inflammed so she has 5 days worth of antiinflammitaries to take some of the inflammation down and im having to be a really mean mummy and leave her at the bottom off the stairs in her bed as its the only way to keep her quiet, but i feel so guilty but i no its best for her if only she new this

forgot to say i have been covering the wound with a t-shirt when taking her for a walk
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >