Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Hi Kathy.

Long time no speak. Very sorry to hear Ruby is not doing to well at the moment.

Thinking of you Karen.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Thank you all for your messages. Hi Kazz! *waves*

We are all back from the vets.

He did a really thorough exam of her. Started by testing her reflexes, and watching her walk. He also listened to her chest and hummed and haa'ed but didn't say anything (and I was so nervous I didn't think to ask). So I assume that's no better and no worse.

Ruby has pronounced ataxia of her central nervous system. That means the signals between her spinal area and her brain have broken down. There are many causes of this, but because she has near normal reflex function in her back end, it is happening in her brain. Because of her illness, the most likely cause is that the cancer has spread to her brain.

Obviously this sounded like really bad news, but the vet explained to us that it was going to spread somewhere and because it has spread there, she is not in ANY pain. So in a way it's a blessing. It means now she can do what the hell she wants without suffering afterwards.

She has been sent home with 20 days worth of Vivitonin (a drug that increases blood flow to the brain). He offered to put her on Propalin too, but because she isn't fully incontinent yet, we decided to wait and see how she goes with just the Vivitonin.

We explained that we would rather put her to sleep too early than too late and he has promised to help us decide when it is time. I trust him implicitly - he really cares about her and he says she's not bl**dy ready yet!

So although there is the sadness there that we're not going to have that vet trip where he says he was wrong and she hasn't got cancer after all, we know now that Ruby can live her final time (likely not to be long) painfree and happy.

Again, thank you all for your help and advice.
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

01-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Kathy I am really pleased, you will all know when Ruby has had enough and Rainbow Bridge is calling. Let her enjoy herself now.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Kathy, thats good news about Ruby
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm really pleased for you Kathy
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2004, 07:32 PM
That is good news and a relief then Kathy to know Ruby is not in any pain. I think Ruby may take some comfort from gentle massage to her legs, it increases the blood supply, may help a little with mobility and is very comforting.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4