View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Should have added that Boxers, like most bull breeds, are very stoical. They will tolerate a high degree of pain without complaint. If there is any sign of discomfort it could indicate that the dog is actually hurting quite badly.

This is not directed specifically at Kathy & Ruby, just a general observation on a particular characteristic of these breeds.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

01-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Kathy will be thinking of Ruby today.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Hi Kathy -no real advice I'm afraid but if she were mine I'd give her whatever drugs she needs to keep her comfortable and I think you know the rest
Thinking of you all x
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2004, 09:01 AM
thinking of you at this horrible time, poor ruby!
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Kathy
Will be thinking of you both xx

Traci
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Morning all (sorry - afternoon!).

Ruby is a bit perkier this morning, but she's still going down tonight for her check.

Minihaha - Ruby's a bit of a regular at the vets - she has a crush on him. He's not my type luckily so she's welcome to him She hasn't been for about 2 months now though, because she was doing well (last time she had a course of Rimadyl) and it stresses her out going down there. She's not up for walks any more, and the excitement gets to her chest. Last time we went the vet told us what I posted at the top - that she had discomfort in her hips and it wasn't arthritis. And that her chest seemed quite good at that point. He said that she could only have a short course of Rimadyl. His theory was that she'd overdone it and that would be enough to get her back on track, and it was for some time. She even managed a wak to the fields.

The problem with Ruby is she has more than one problem. You take the pain away from her legs and she overdoes it for her chest. You take the chest issues away (Vicks and antibios) and she overdoes it for her old bones. Like I said, she doesn't limit herself, and while it hurts me to see her overdo it for a lark, I am completely in awe of her drive to keep living life to the max.

If the vet diagnoses another major problem today, then we'll have to make the decision. this might sound callous but I'd rather she went on a good day than when she was in unrelievable pain.

We're going to ask for more than a course this time. I want to have a stock of painkillers (even if its only a couple) for in case this happens again. I felt completely useless, and if she cant be on long term Rimadyl, then I'm hoping they can at least give us a dose-worth to keep handy.

Of course if the vet says the only thing now is to put her on long term painkillers (which isnt an option for her) then we face the unfaceable again.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2004, 12:55 PM
I posted all that and forgot to say a huge thank you to you all for your support and advice. So thank you ops:
Carole
Supervisor

01-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Good luck tonight Ruby and Kathy
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

01-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Good luck with Ruby tonight will be thinking of you both.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Good luck Kathy
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >