View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Sorry can't help but sending u loads of hugs for tomorrow and please let us know how it goes
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2004, 04:29 PM
good luck Kathy !

from what you have said it sounds as if Ruby still has a bit of fight in her.
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Ruby is such an amazing dog and she has put up a fight that has seen her last alot longer that you thought she may. And hopefully it won't be the last that we have heard from her you have given her a life worth living and she has taken it like you never thought she would. Please give her a big hug from me, she is one special dog.

I am thinking of you xxxx

Sam xx
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 06:31 PM
So sorry Kathy. Have no advice, but just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and Ruby.

please tell us what the vet says tomorrow...
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I'll keep you both in my thoughts Kathy.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

31-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by KathyM
I've booked Ruby in for tomorrow night at 6pm. She's a bit low tonight, so I phoned the vet and he said to let her rest til then.

If anyone has any ideas that I could go armed with that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Hi Kathy - what do you feed her? Cancer in humans can be fought by food and other changes in lifestyle perhaps the same principles can be looked at for dogs?

take a look at his:

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/can...ftreatment.htm

hope it helps and wish you both all the best.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Azz

Been there done it She's had the cottage cheese and flax seed oil, she's had all the miracle cures people keep sending me info about. Each time we see her get worse. You get your hopes up, then watch her get worse. She is on as near to natural food as is safe for her (NatureDiet, basically *just* cooked chicken, rice, carrots and seaweed extract). She cant have raw because of her lowered immune system.There is no cure for cancer, and I'm not going to prolong it any more. We made a promise not to fight it for our sake, and with this problem probably being unrelated, diet wont help. I also know of a lot of people who dispute the anti-oxidant theory (including my vet, but not because he is averse to trying, but for the reasons I'm about to give). Anti-oxidants promote cell regeneration and new cell growth. Cancer is abnormal cell growth, and these anti-ox's such as Vit C and E *could* (in theory) aid it rather than cure it.

We could keep fighting and try all the miracle fads that fly about - believe me we gave it a shot. But it's not helping. So we made a pact with Ruby not to put her through it any more, and to let her decide when it's time.

Some people won't agree with that. Some tell me I should have had her put down when we found out (one mad woman even accused me of animal abuse for not putting her to sleep - but she was a bit barmy). All I can say is that I understand, but Ruby is here, loved, warm and safe. I won't let her hurt. And I wont fight it any more.

Thank you so much for the info - maybe if we'd known in the early stages some of it could have been useful. I do appreciate it and I hope you understand.

Take care

Kathy
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

31-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Hi Kathy I respect your wishes. Especially as you know her best, you are living in the situation day in day out and you are the ones who will be affected by any decisions you make. You can be assured that all Dogwebbers will support you in your whatever you decide. You won't get any 'barmy' types here *hugs*.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

31-08-2004, 09:55 PM
The only thing I can suggest is hydrotherapy, but I feel this might be too stressful for Ruby at this stage.

What a brave and determined Boxer lady she is.

I know you will do the right thing at the right time being aware that pride and dignity are so important to an old Boxer.

Thinking of you.
Meg
Supervisor

31-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi Kathy, I am not a vet and not qualified to comment really but have a couple of observations to make: you say...
" After that, each time we stroked her, her hackles went up ".
this to me could indicate a dog in pain. Also 'chesty' and lung cancer may = heart not functioning as well as it should? . Hard as it may be ..and I have been in that hartbreaking position many times..the last great kindness we can show our dogs is to make sure they are not in any pain..sometimes it is a great temptation to keep them going at all costs because we don't want to lose them . When did your vet see Ruby last and what did he say?
I will be thinking of you..
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >