Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2004, 08:46 PM

Running away

Hi I was wondering I anyone had any tips - We have only started letting Sonny off his lead and he is great except when he sees other dogs he runs away to play with them ( he loves other dogs- being bitten by next doors dog hasn't put him off). The problem is he doesn't come back and I have had a few frights. He was at puppy class but he is too big and the obedience class was busy so he can't start that for another few weeks - I know that the classes will help but I am scared to let him off - no squeeky toys or treats will get him back and sometimes I am not quick enough at getting him back on the lead.

Thanks any help would be greatful

Love sam and sonny xx
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

15-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Good post Sam

Now I'm no expert so don't take this as Gospel! But what about if you NEVER gave him any treats but, ONLY gave him one on a recall?

Also wonder what the experts out there think about this? As I too want to train Rocky to come on command and would appreciate any ideas!
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

15-04-2004, 10:29 PM
The recall is always the most difficult exercise I think! Grace went through a phase of thinking "well you are there all the time so I'll go and say hello to this dog first because he might not be here again". Difficult to argue with that logic!

Good advice on stepping down the treats - sometimes we are a bit trigger happy with them. I grade them, lower value treats when working at home and a high value treat when out. All dogs work for different things, I use liver for Grace yet my old girl Doris couldn't stand the stuff, she preferred chicken.

Have you tried keeping the squeaky toys away from him too? Mine have a stacked toy box but certain toys are kept by me and only used at certain times. They know when they appear/sound they are in for a good time and playtime (as its controlled) is much more fun.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

15-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks Alison, some excellent advice there. I will try the 'value' system on Rocky an see how it goes!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Sam

Have you tried shouting on him, then running in the opposite direction. I do that when Star wont come back. I usually take a small squeaky toy to get her attention, rather than shout at her. Nine times out of ten she will come running after me.

Carole
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2004, 06:52 PM
My young springer is starting to get a little lax on the recall. When she ignores me, I do what Carole suggested and run in the opposite direction calling her in a high pitched voice.

You could also try training her to the whistle. You sometimes get a better recall on the whistle.

Helen
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2004, 07:19 PM
All sonny wants to do is play with other dogs I think if I walked away he would let me - but instead I just look silly running round in circles trying to catch him.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Dont run after him. I tried that and it made it worse. Star thought it was a game and kept running

Carole
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

17-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by carole
Dont run after him. I tried that and it made it worse. Star thought it was a game and kept running

Carole
That makes sense! AS Rocky loves it when I chase him after he's picked something he shouldn't have in his mouth!!
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

17-04-2004, 12:04 PM
I agree, as soon as you run after them they all think "wheeeee....what a game"!

You could also go back to basics with a clicker, I find this works really well as it gets home what the dog is meant to be doing.

Not sure if we are meant to post links on here so I'll apologise in advance but if you want some info try the link on our website http://www.volsung.co.uk/ClickerTraining.htm
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >