Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2004, 03:18 PM

Hunting

Does anyone here train their dogs for hunting?

And have anyone had problems with their dogs and fur (rabbit etc.)?

I can get Ally to get all sorts of birds but she´s not to happy about getting the other animals (have only tried with rabbit).

If I place the rabbit in her mouth there´s no problem, but seending her on her own she will act insecure and nervous.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Know of a Elkhound who works with a shoot picking up, and she is very good at her job but will not touch anything in feathers so it seems hounds do have a preference to the type of prey they will collect, guess you can train them to other things but that would depend on how important it is. This particular hound works with gundogs and they are happy to collect birds. If you are using her to pick up for you then it is important that she does not leave anything that is injured but I am not able to suggest how you should go about training this. May be wrapping skin around a dumbbell and teaching the retrieve, anyone on the site that have working hounds or gundogs who can help with the training?
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks for your answer Thordell.

Ally is only 1 year so I´m sure she´ll learn.
She will take the rabbit if I give it to her, otherwise she´s acting like I described.
She´s use to getting dummyes with fur and with those we have no problems.

I hoped someone went hunting with their dogs and knew a few tricks or trainingsmethods I could use in the "fur-situation"
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Sorry I can't help further, my knowledge of training dogs for picking up is very limited.

Edit: have sent your request for help to someone who will know the answer and will send you his reply (if he does reply) by PM