Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 02:10 PM

headcollars

I've just started to put a headcollar on Hector as he's pulling really bad at the mo, and hey presto he's stopped instantly.
BUT, he's now walking behind me and very slowly and looks very p**'d off.

How do I encourage him to walk at my pace so I'm not in the situation of me pulling him
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Plenty of praise and a treat always helps, Kiera sulked for a week when i first used a halti on her, they do get over it eventually!
Dont give in though! He knows you have 'won' keep it up

Emma
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 04:45 PM
how bizarre. yeh, treats sounds like a good idea.
When i tried a halti on indie.. she would just roll about on the floor trying to get it off and wouldnt actually go for a walk
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Bella has one, and she will still try to rub it off, but she walks okay, still try to pull, so its probablely just a matter of him getting used to it.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 04:58 PM
bellas a boy?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 05:01 PM
No Jenny

The last bit was to Hector's mum about Hector
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2004, 07:56 PM
what type of head collar are you using?
if its a halti then tob hated them and was always trying to get it off.
i now have a leather dog matic head collar for him he is happier with it and it fits better for the leo's head shape.
it certainly works and it the best way of controlling the pulling,tob pulled but a collar wasn't good enough it made no difference to him,any kind of chain etc he would gag himselfs and never learnt to stop .ideally you want hector to walk to heel but not in front or over step you .hes not happy at the moment because you have taken the control back.
tob was on his for months before he got the message to stay back but its better with the dogmatic type for him and you still have the same/better control.
we have now over the last 5 months put him back to a normal collar and he did try it on to start with but he knows if he pulls me he will go back to the head collar.
its a case of keeping it up till he gets the message that pulling is not aloud when your walking,plus for him to understand he walks by you side.it can be done honest even with a leo being as slow as they are mentally.
do a search for dog matic on the net and you will see what i mean,if the collar doesn't fit you can exchange it untill you find 1 that does.
tobys is a size 6 but try it on him,his cost about £20 but well worth it for the dog and you.
they have a buckle so no clips etc that could break.
if you need any help pm me or come for a visit,as we aren't far away and know what your up against.
as they say been there done that but you can get through it honest.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanx Leo

He seems to have accepted it a bit better at the mo but he still is rubbing his face but not so much, I try and distract him as much as possible.

The dogmatic is something that I will invest in but cause of the growth rate I'm waiting, so I'll continue to use the webbing ones, which I'd already got, until he's at the size of near adult, otherwise it'll cost me a fortune on halters.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-10-2004, 07:00 AM
IF HE IS ANY THING LIKE TOB HE TRYS TO RUB IT WHEN YOU STOP TO GET IT OFF,USUALLY ON YOUR LEG.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2004, 08:25 AM
I use a dogmatic too and find it a lot better than the haltis and gentle leaders I have tried.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >