View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Can i just add with the biting thing as all pups do, dont get bad and 'scruff' her as you all have put it, as soon as her teeth sink into you, screm as loud as you can then walk away... the reasoning behind that is that when pups are playing together thats how the other pups react when play time is getting too rough, they make a loud yelp, If this doesnt work then again you can try a distraction method of toys etc.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Have to say I agree with SB, stonedagen and Robert...

Keena is not dominant at all, never shows any aggression to other dogs or people and is actually a little on the submissive side to where you have to be carefull when telling her 'bad dog' because she will roll over in submission. yet she has been doing the humping thing on and off since she was 10 weeks old....She does actually try to get on our backs to sneak a quick hump if we sit down on the floor and she tries to hump other dogs when she is playing. I was worried when she first started doing it because I thought that I was going to end up with dominant behaviour and all but like I said she isn't the least bit dominant, just very friendly and sweet natured but also a puppy and although we always stop play or walk away from her when she tries it on us I have never scollded her to harsh because it is part of her growing up and while I am certainly not going to accept her doing that on me because as I tell her, I simply don't love her that way...lol...at the same time I don't worry too much, I just stop it each time it happens and keep her away from peoples backs...lol

I had a little Yorkie a long time ago and she even did it, she did it on a toy bear she had or your leg and she certainly wasn't aggressive, she always did it near her seasons more often and so it was just hormone related not dominance.

Personally I don't think it is much different to say a little boy who has just found that 'thing' and starts paying it a bit of attention, lol...Just hormones and growing up I think anyway.

I think if your dog is dominant or tries to be in other arears it could possibly be an additional dominance issuse but if they are otherwise not dominant at all then I don't think so.

But like everyone agrees, do nip it in the bud each time it happens and let her know you don't like that kind of behaviour and then give her something else to do. Hopefully they will all grow out of it.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny
all she does is want to hump and she'll bark at u til u give her your arm ops:
I did have to laugh at that
IrishEyes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2004, 07:17 PM
ok...im gunna sound real stoopid....wats scruffing? as Winston loves humping my young brother...we were told to ignore him, this has worked...but he will still give it a few humps 1st
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2004, 09:11 AM
"Scruffing" is the action of taking hold of the pup by the loose skin on the back of the neck and giving it a slight shake. It is supposed to imitate the action of the dam when she disciplines her puppies. In human/dog interaction you run the risk of making the pup hand-shy or of getting bitten by a nervous dog. There are other, and better, ways of getting your point across.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3