View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:13 AM
I think a calm stooge dog should be used not an arsey entire male. I can't see how the dog you are going to use will help with Ben's aggression, it will have the opposite effect. I really think you have no idea how dogs really tick. Will you be Zapping Ben when he reacts badly to the other dog?
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Dogloverlou has it right, really. I used to have countless arguments with him (during which he'd be as nasty as possible) but I don't bother with any of that any more as it's a waste of time.

I'm far more interested in things like legislation against shock collars now, it's much more appealing

Now I know were I know you from, I remember that as well, I do love to wind him up It would be interesting to see if he still uses the same arguments which I expect her does.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
First - who is Mr Castle?
You don't want to know him, he is one of the nastiest people I have met on the internet, there is one other who is worse but will remain nameless.

Second - I totally agree with you about having to keep 'some dogs' on a lead all the time. Many dogs who live in town centres have to be kept on a lead at all times. Not everyone takes their dogs to wide open spaces either (I should know as I always have done and am often alone there with my dog - both in UK and here in Cyprus)

Some disabled people have to keep their dogs leashed all the time - especially those who take the dog out using a wheelchair or mob. scooter. And young mums with babies in prams and pushchairs.
I exercise my dogs with a mobility scooter and they also go off lead about twice a week, only 2 of these dogs I had before the scooter, both Dolly, Working Cocker/JRT and Cyril, Staffy, came after the scooter, both now have good recalls and go off lead.

I was one of those young mums many ye, ars ago and the GSD was on her lead beside us all the time even in the park. If she hadn't been trained not to pull on the lead I couldn't have taken her with us - she'd have pulled us all over - I'd have had to leave her at home. If I wanted to give her a run out I put her in the car and took her into the Crowthorne Woods or up on Ceasers Camp miles from everywhere. Or even onto the nearby deserted football pitch when it wasn't being used (but never on farmland where animals might be and there is plenty of farmland in Berkshire).

I used to have 1 child walking next to me, one in the pram and one on a seat on top of the pram, you can't do this with modern prams. I also had a dog and walked Sweep with the pram but as soon as we got to the part Sweep was off lead. He had a good recall and was good with other dogs.

I think it's true to say that dogs who've always been used to having a run about off lead every day would miss it if it stopped. But they can be perfectly happy without. And I know Bella would be happy on her stretch out lead as happy as she is off it - she never runs off anyway and usually isn't further away from me than the stretch lead would allow.
When fostering a lot of rescues won't allow you to let their dog off the lead, the dogs get used to it quite quickly and accept it. I do get rid of their energy other ways, they run round the garden with my other dogs playing, chasing each other etc. Last winter I was snowed in for about 7 days, my dogs were all able to get rid of their energy in the garden because I also played with them.

Other ways to help tire a dog out is to play mind games or do training sessions, it is at times when I can't give them the exercise they need I teach them some dance movements. It is about meeting a dog's needs and to me that is getting rid of their energy both mental and physical.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I have used one on myself on a fairly high setting - 20 - and the pain it inflicts is similar to a static shock you can get off a lift button or when you touch your car door - unpleasant, but not painful - it is more surprise than pain - you shriek out "oh!" because it has made you jump. It is exactly like those children's games - my daughter had one - where you all hold one of the spurs and the winner is the one who can hold on long enough - can't remember what they are called.

If you buy a good make - Dogtra is the best - they are completely safe and waterproof. Ben goes swimming in his. If you buy a cheap one, then of course you are asking for trouble.
You've tried it on your neck on the highest setting?

And pressed it several times on a day?
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I think a calm stooge dog should be used not an arsey entire male. I can't see how the dog you are going to use will help with Ben's aggression, it will have the opposite effect. I really think you have no idea how dogs really tick. Will you be Zapping Ben when he reacts badly to the other dog?
She has said in at least one post that the other dog starts it off when he sees Ben and Ben retaliates. Using a dog aggressive dog to stop a dog aggressive dog won't work, it will make the problem worse not better.

I still remember when I first got Gracie, I spent more times crying because of her dog aggression, if I sent her back to the rescue she would have been pts, thank goodness I didn't, she became a wonderful dog and taught me so much about dog aggression which has been passed on and helped a lot of other dogs since.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:09 PM
I don't understand why Gnasher had a stark choice of e collar or PTS ? I don't want it to become personal so don't answer if you do not want to but it sounds so drastic just because a dog will not return when called. There seem to me several different scenarios would be better than either of those choices !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I'm not sure why the thought of having to keep a dog on the lead at all times is so abhorrent to some folk, and to resort to using an e.collar over keeping a dog on a lead due to poor recall and aggression beggars belief

There are many breeds that never go off lead, due to their inherent traits, dogs with aggression issues (as with ben) need to stay on lead.

There seems to be a school of thought that keeping a dog on a lead is a fate worse than death, in my book the dog is suffering that fate every time the owner shocks the dog into a recall.

Lets face it all the crap that comes out of the mouths of the "promoters" of these collars , about "its only a stim, its only a tickle" "its does not hurt the dog is a load of rubbish after all if you find yourself in a situation with a dog you have tried everything to implement a recall and failed, and the only solution is to use an e.collar, surely common sense tells you , you have resorted to the EXTREME (PAIN) to make said dog listen to you.

By the way Gnasher, surely you are not going to work with an aggressive dog (black lab) with Ben to help him over his hatred of Black dogs

I am placing bets here, I wonder how long it takes for Mr Castle to find this thread ?
Ben does NOT need to stay on a lead. He needs to be trained to be less aggressive and to get over his hatred of black dogs. I don't care what anyone says, it is what I think that is important. Ben is my dog, and I will not condemn him to a life on the lead. It would be the height of cruelty. I will not do it, I would rather put him down than do that to him. I don't care whether you or anyone else thinks its perfectly OK to keep a dog like Ben on a lead all his life, the important thing is I don't think it is OK, and even more importantly than me, Ben would not think it is OK whatsoever. He would become even more aggressive with other dogs, not less so

I am definitely going to ask our friend in the village for his kind co-operation with his BL. There are two reasons for this ... 1) the dog is a very large, strong boy, capable of standing up to Ben without being frightened, or without being traumatised. and 2) the issue we have is mainly with male black labradors, therefore the precise breed I want to use is a black labrador. There would be little point in using a breed that Ben has no issues with.

The last thing in the world I want is for a dog to be psychologically damaged because of Ben's aggressiveness. he will of course be under control on his lead, and unable to inflict any injury, but his level of aggressive towards black labradors is such that they can be traumatised psychologically even though Ben cannot touch them.

I know how much everybody loves CM, so i will use one of his phrases to describe Ben - he is a classic red zoner. The red mist comes down when he meets a male BL.

By Mr Castle - do you mean Lou Castle? He is an extremely nice man, and has been very helpful with my husband in the use of the dogtra. I very much hope he DOES find this thread.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I have had DA dogs and Nervous aggression too, no amount of training can train it out of some dogs and we have to love them despite their baggage. Adding electric shocks into the equation isn't training them it's hurting and scaring them into complying. I want mine to want to do things for me not be too scared of me to refuse if they are worried or scared in a situation.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I don't understand why Gnasher had a stark choice of e collar or PTS ? I don't want it to become personal so don't answer if you do not want to but it sounds so drastic just because a dog will not return when called. There seem to me several different scenarios would be better than either of those choices !
Look - I have said this about one million times and I am getting fed up with it, as you must be reading it!!

Nothing, absolutely nothing, worked in trying to train a reliable recall with Ben.

So - we had the choice of:

1. Keeping him on the lead for the rest of his life.

2. Buying a rig and working him in harness.

the first option is an absolute no no for me and for my husband. Neither of us would condemn a dog like Ben to a life on the lead - end of.

the second question is out of the question because a rig costs a bally fortune and we cannnot afford to buy a rig, a vehicle to carry it in and the harness. It would costs thousands.

So we were faced with the option of trying an e collar, or euthanasia. We chose an e collar and we now have a beautiful, happy, healthy, fit, active bundle of joy instead of a miserable, under-exercised, fat and most likely aggressive lump. OH at 64 is too old and too busy to be able to spend the time each day that he would have to do to be able to exercise Ben on the lead sufficiently.

Rehoming was not an option, Ben was far too much of a liability to palm him off on anyone else, even someone with experience of ****** up wolf crosses.

No-one will ever persuade me that we have done the wrong thing, no-one. We have absolutely done the right thing, and I can bet a pound to a squashy orange there are as many supporters of what we did on Dogsey as there are antis - they are just too wimpy to come out in public and say they agree with me, for fear of what they would be subjected to.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:58 PM
You did have other options and you are being a bit too rigid in your ways if you refused to consider them.
Page 20 of 44 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »