Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wildfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2008, 04:03 PM

Bitches coming into Season

Hi have a full female Utonagan, now 21mths old, only had her for 4mths,been waiting for her to have a season,
so far nothing, prev owner said they thought she may have has one in June/July but vet unable to ascertain this, advice to wait, I want to have her neutered once she has her season, since her breed line has too many health issues.
Serious ones.

Also how can I prevent her from rolling in other dogs poo;s!
she has done it twice this week, she is off lead in parks etc, and never goes far from me, but she manages to find some!! Dogs hey??

Wildfire
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 05:14 PM
There is no way to tell when she will next have a season, wait till you have had her at least a year and then go ahead as hormonal problems may be yet another inherited health problem.

Little you can do about the poo rolling except avoid the poo, it is a habit but where it comes from who knows, some dogs that have been kenneled do it also those who's nest was not looked after well when they were pups, pups that grew up in muck seem to find it a necessity of life.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi Gill, she may not come into season exactly every 6 months. My Cariad comes in every 7-8 months and Lona is every 9 months or so. Also there is something called a 'white season' where they do not even show they are in season, just to complicate things!!! Some males are not at all interested in them, but some are, when they have this type of season. I know of a female from the same line as yours and she doesn't have proper seasons at all, they are very light.
You will know when she is due in because she will start swelling up a few weeks before and may start 'nesting' with some toys. It could well be spring before she starts her season, she has moved home and surroundings and sometimes this can make the female surpress her season which is another thing to consider.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Hi there, You've been given great advice already above. Bitches become sexually mature when they exhibit their first heat period, usually between 6 and 16 months of age, depending on the size and breed. Most bitches come into heat twice a year. The exceptions to this rule are wolves and basenjis, which typically exhibit only one heat cycle per year. The estrous or heat cycle of an intact (unspayed) and nonpregnant bitch is divided into four separate phases; proestrus, usually lasts between 6 to 11 days. Estrus, the average duration of estrus is about nine days, but it can last from 2 to 21 days (when the bitch will allow a dog to mate her). Diestrus lasts about two months and Anestrus which will be the stage your girl is presently in. This phase is considered to be a quiet rest stage in the estrous cycle. Factors such as breed, age, size, and health condition will influence the duration of anestrus. The length of anestrus varies, lasting on average about 3 to 5 months.

As for the rolling in the poo, some dogs just love to do it. Try to avoid or watch her and teach the 'leave; command very well.

Hope that helps