Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2006, 01:32 PM

Stained Teeth - Any Ideas Please ?

My dog is about 4 years old and her teeth, paticularly the upper canines, are quite badly stained near the gums. I'm not sure to what extent this is a problem, if at all. I feed her on dry food, some tinned stuff, some raw, in fact just about anything. She also has chews and the occasional bone.
I don't particularly want to have her put under anaesthic for a clean-up by the vet, and I'm not keen on using a brush.
I tried some white crunchy things from the pet shop which were no good at all, and I've heard of some other product made from seaweed.
I've had other dogs with the same condition and it never seemed to be anything other than a cosmetic issue. Should I try to do something or just forget about it ?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 01:38 PM
it depends if the teeth are just stained or it is plaque building up.
if it is stain then with a brush and dog toothpaste in time you should be able to remove it, if its plaque then in time it will damage the teeth like our own really.
maybe you should get the vet to advice you or have them cleaned up this time and start brushing them.
it also helps to reduce any bad odours.
i keep my dogs teeth clean you don't need to do it every day but now and again to stop any thing building up on them could save you a fortune in vet care in the long run.
also stops the dogs having any dental problems they could get with age.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 01:43 PM
We have this problem with Eddy.

Takara's teeth are ok (should be she's only 13 months!) and we feed her stuff regularly to keep them clean along with the odd brushing (she eats the toothbrush - can't afford it every day!)

But Eddy came to us with very stained teeth, detastix helped with them and they look a lot better and I give them both some dental treats regularly but his breath is still smelly and his teeth are still a bit of a mess.

He's 11 1/2 so there's no way we'd put him under anaesthetic as his teeth don't bother him, he still plays tug with Takara and eats his food but it is smelly and unattractive!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I noticed that Star's back teeth were getting a bit stained a while ago. I used logic oral gel once a week so have started using it daily and I got a tub of Plaque Off yesterday to try and keep them clean. I have noticed that they are looking better already with the extra brushing.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 01:52 PM
we use the dog toothpaste from the vets i only have to get it out and they are waiting...they would eat it from the tube given the chance.
i am lucky if it stays on the brush long enogh to get into their mouths.
its virbac enzymatic toothpaste in poultry flavour.
it is also supposed to help keep the mouth healthy etc due to the level of enzymes in the toothpaste hence better gums so i believe.
its a good way of getting a dog used to dental care and brushing it lasts a while about £6 a tube.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 04:04 PM
have you tried fragaria?

with regular use it helps keep plaque and staining at bay - owners of dogs with such problems give good reports.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M29C536AD

hope this helps a bit.

Is the seaweed type stuff you refer to perhaps swedish kelp?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by leo
they would eat it from the tube given the chance.
I got a free malt flavoured toothpaste from petremedies.co.uk which I put in the doggy rucksack for going away.

Takara somehow got into the doggy rucksack (zipped up as it was) and proceeded to chew the bottom off the tube. I came back to find Takara with shiny shiny teeth and toothpaste all over the carpet
Carole
Supervisor

28-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by thandi

Is the seaweed type stuff you refer to perhaps swedish kelp?
Just had a quick look Plaque Off is seaweed and it smells :smt078
sweetmimi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I use plaque off and its great I did not notice any smell with it though.
Carole
Supervisor

29-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by sweetmimi
I use plaque off and its great I did not notice any smell with it though.
Is there no smell of it when its in the tub? Maybe mine is a bad batch then.