View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Dog crazy! (off-lead recall vanishes, on-lead lunging when other dogs around)

Hi all
Just wanted some advise on small problem I have with Angel. She is obsessed with other dogs of all sorts ! Soon as she sees one she's off like a shot (or pulling on lead till she's almost pulling me off feet) and all the recall work I have done goes out the window! Everyone says this will come with time. Has anyone else had this problem and maybe has some tips on how to calm her down around other dogs? She only wants to play bless her, but can be a nightmare sometimes !
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I can see where you are coming from, my dog is just the same. Hes called Angel too!! When he is off lead I have become very vigilent so as to notice other dogs before him and therefore get him back before he sees them, however when on lead he is the same practically pulling me off my feet but I have just learn't to deal with it, I'm sure someone will be along to offer some good advice soon.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Glad to hear i'm not the only one ! Must be in the name LOL ! !

For most part it's not a problem as most of the folk who walk their dogs in my area now know Angel and they think she's great, but you just never know who's around the corner. I try to be vigilent too, but can be hard sometimes, specially when my area is dog walkers central! At least it's only for play though, my 1st dog did the same but out of aggression, that was not nice at all
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 05:57 PM
I'll be watching this thread with interest , as gems great with recall most of the time , but its food or a really nice smell (usually a dead rat ) and its like she gos , stone deaf but dog-wise shes almost anti social oh well you carnt have it all can you
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2006, 04:18 AM
The only way to succeed with the recall problem is not to let her off-lead until you have thoroughly proofed her against all manner of distractions. Every time she ignores your recall command she is learning that she does not have to obey you, your authority is weakened and she learns she can do what she likes. I would recommend going right back to basic training. This Dogweb article may be of help to you: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/tra...call_8049.html

Lunging on the lead can be resolved by teaching her to 'leave' and to focus on you. Teach her to 'watch' and reward her attention with treats or a special toy/game.

Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
The only way to succeed with the recall problem is not to let her off-lead until you have thoroughly proofed her against all manner of distractions. Every time she ignores your recall command she is learning that she does not have to obey you, your authority is weakened and she learns she can do what she likes. I would recommend going right back to basic training. This Dogweb article may be of help to you: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/tra...call_8049.html

Lunging on the lead can be resolved by teaching her to 'leave' and to focus on you. Teach her to 'watch' and reward her attention with treats or a special toy/game.

Thanks Shdowboxer, that article was very interesting ! Have started putting it into action already x x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I am pleased that you found the article of interest and I hope that it will help you to achieve a reliable recall Let us know how you get on with the training and whether you need any further help or explanation with recall or focus training
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Oh i'll be back for more advise i'm sure. And I will definately keep you posted. She is a fast learner ('came' for her breakfast) so fingers crossed she will be off lead perfect in no time

Thanks again x
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2006, 06:58 PM
I have the exact same problem with my two .. they are fantastic at the park, come back right away when called even when theres loads of dogs about, but at our own bit, forget it! selective hearing kicks in