Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2013, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=Firstlight;2657242]
Lastly, "zap again" was partially correct. Try again, and here's a hint: I stated that she responded to a low level nick.
See last reply on 'pairing'.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
'Saving a dog's life' is high on the agenda of each and every dog lover in countries across the world. The means of doing it are always going to be debated, but I will never believe that using pain is the only way to do it because I've seen so many dogs turned around that I know for a fact that it not only isn't, rather it isn't necessary at all.

Some people can read books, use and adapt what they learn from them and be successful. Some can't. It doesn't make the person, or necessarily the books they have read, inadequate. It simply means that that particular learning style is not suited to the person employing it
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
still no reply to my facts given over these barbaric so called training tools, sorry but your avoidance to my facts makes me believe you have nothing to come back with and still advocate these things. people who have posted after me have had replys but nothing to mine. sorry but your not going to convince any of us that there is a place in the dog training world for E-collars, your kidding yourself if you think there is.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post

[

No intention to "defend", just to impart information. Enjoy myself? Trust me, there is very little enjoyment to be had in getting up at 4am to drive thru a blinding snowstorm just so you can sit in a miserable smelly, mucky swamp all morning and half freeze to death.

You get up at 4 in the morning and spend all day in the freezing cold because you enjoy your sport, so don't try pulling the I don't enjoy myself"

Ofcouse you do, other wise you would not take part in your sport .
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
WOW! a very good question!

wondering about the answer

...but guess it just will get ignored as well

Malpeki, there appears to be some kind of glitch in the forum, because this post #258 of yours, in which you "guess I will ignore" Spot's' question, is the fourth one after the one (#254) in which I did indeed reply to Spot's, and several hours later. I makes it appear as though perhaps you are you are not bothering to read my posts before you comment, it certainly seems that way in this case, and I know you would never do something so unreasonable.

Perhaps you should notify admin of the problem?
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hieronymus View Post
I watched Steve White's DVD set recently "Police K9 techniques for everyday use". Steve is a progressive trainer, but as you can imagine, has seen lots of forceful training techniques being a police dog trainer and handler for over 20 years.

He talks about the use of a shock collar having the capactiy to make a hanlder more effective by four fold. Which means , on a scale of one to ten, an e-collar can make a 2 handler into an 8. He qualifies that however, by saying that 0 isn't the baseline for dog trainers -10 is, which means if you are a -2, a shock collar can make you a -8. That's how powerful they are.

I can't stand them, there is no need to use them. I agree, without condoning their use, that they can be effective in the right hands. In the wrongs hands, they make things much, much worse. The good things about non aversive training tools are that idf you get a verbal marker wrong, the dog isn't harmed, you can;t say that with shock collars and many, many trainer/owners don't have the timing to use them.

As Ian Dunbar says, if we don't need to use aversive training tolls, morally should we be using them. It's an question for each person's conscience. It doens't sit well with me, and I've trained dozens of aggressive dogs with great results. we don't need to use them.

To the OP, you keep asking the question about people's personal experience with shock collars influencing their opinion. Many here don't have any, including myself, I'm glad of that. We can form opinions on many things without personally seeing or experiencing them, child rearing for example. We don't need to see that smacking a child for not learning something is wrong, we outlawed corporal punishment in schools in the 80s. It's time we did the same with dog training.
Welcome Hieronymus. If you read come of my previous posts, you will find that I agree with much of what you say. I am well aware of the power and of the misuse of that power. I would also never punish a dog for not learning.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Many do and many assume that training without physical aversives means stuffing food down a dog's neck from the moment training begins to the day the dog dies
My point exactly, many people misapply all kinds of methods, which results in varying types and degrees of harm to the hapless dog. But by the thinking displayed by some of the posters here, I should conclude, after witnessing this "misuse" of reward training, that all reward-based training is wrong, all trainers who use it are the devil's own, and food should be banned, no? I just find that logic a bit ummm, odd?

And before anyone (generic anyone Brierley, certainly not aimed you personally) jumps to declare that misuse of the collar is much more harmful than misuse of food training: I know that misuse of reward training does not have the same potential for devastating harm as does misuse of the collar, or of any aversive, for that matter, so y'all needn't even bother going there, because I have my posted my opinions re: this topic several times.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post

[

No intention to "defend", just to impart information. Enjoy myself? Trust me, there is very little enjoyment to be had in getting up at 4am to drive thru a blinding snowstorm just so you can sit in a miserable smelly, mucky swamp all morning and half freeze to death. The dogs, on the other hand, leave no doubt that they enjoy it immensely. Winning? If that was my goal, I certainly wouldn't have chosen a breed that everyone around here, including judges, had such a low opinion of. Most of the stuff I did was supposed to be non-competitive anyway, except for conformation shows. I ''won" every time I was out with my dogs.

And saving a dogs life is certainly high on my list of reasons to use the collar.
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You get up at 4 in the morning and spend all day in the freezing cold because you enjoy your sport, so don't try pulling the I don't enjoy myself"

Ofcouse you do, other wise you would not take part in your sport .
I am afraid I agree with Jackbox, and this is my point. Smokeybear also referred to this earlier, which is that basically you are using aversives so that you can be involved in a certain sport. You must get something out of it that keeps you going, perhaps camarederie or social life or pride in your dogs .. whatever it is, you are using shock collars on your dogs for sport and that does, I am afraid, need defending ....

What is your motivation to be involved in the sport and why do you do it? And why do you choose to use shock collars for it? ok less than some do who use shock, but still you use them on your sporting dogs.

Wys
x
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
That's part of training no matter what you are teaching. You taught the dog that whistle means sit. Every time the flush came you gave the command (whistle to sit). Your dog simply anticipated the command (sit to whistle) and, through repetition, paired the new sequence (sit/flush) together so that the flush also became a command.
I would have called it anticipation if he sat before the flush, e.g., as I started walking toward the target; that is not what he did, he waited for the command (flush). This was very early on in the teaching, like the second session, so there had been little repetition at that point. I did a couple more sessions to ensure that his response was not a fluke, and then we moved on to the next step.

I run into anticipation all the time when teaching and unfortunately it often gets misinterpreted. Bright and willing dogs often give this "wrong" response as they try different actions to figure out exactly which behavior earns the reward fastest. All dogs will tend to make errors at this stage of training, it is part of the learning process as they experiment to sort things out. I don't necessarily want a dog which is mindlessly conditioned to respond reflexively, I want the dog to engage his brain so that he learns to problem-solve by himself, because there are going to be times in life, especially when hunting, when it will not be possible for me to help him figure out the "right" response.

One of the biggest flaws of punishment-based training is that it has great potential to stifle the "try" by, among other things, generating a fear response that either causes the dog to shut down in the case of a soft dog, or engage in an active defense reflex in the case of a harder one. In my case, I would never correct a dog for an error he made while he is still trying to learn; I want him to continue trying, via different responses, because it is very likely he will hit upon the correct response if he tries long enough. If a dog repeatedly fails to find the correct response on his own, and especially if he is starting to get flustered because he fails too often, I read that as my cue to step back and reschool to help him out, because I always assume that his failures at that point in teaching are my fault. Even if there is some doubt about whose "fault" the failures are, I will go back and reschool, because I will make the judgement that errors in the teaching phase are always my fault, until/unless clearly shown otherwise.

My dogs tend to hit on the right response when learning a new behavior very quickly, and on the rare occasions when they don't, I have observed different responses to their repeated failures. My current dog expresses his frustration by planting himself in front of me and barking at me in a loud and "angry" manner, his message seems to be, "Well you stupid human, can't you see that I clearly don't understand, how 'bout some help here!!!!". His "clone" would get very anxious, stuff something in his mouth and run around like a loose wheel, like "OMG, help meeee". These responses were apparently innate, not learned as they both exhibited them right out of the gate. It was the biggest difference in their learning styles.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm not buying that at all!

How could you possibly have any idea? You have admitted you do not measure the physiological or phsychological effects the collar has on a dog.

You have no idea of any real effect this is having on the dog.

Some dogs will comply when abused and bullied - that's a sad fact. What choice do they have?

But it doesn't make the collar user - you - a good trainer and it doesn't mean they - you - have any relationship, mutual understanding or synergy with that dog.
Fine by me Lucky Star, I'm not selling anything.

As I said, physiological studies have been done. As for the psychological, do you not ever look at and interpret your dog's body language to determine his mental state?

Bullying and abuse have no place in animal training, and compliance in response to these actions is certainly not the only option, it is just the least likely one.

I would respectfully suggest that you have no idea of the relationship I have with my dogs, although you might learn about it if you read all of my more recent posts.
Page 27 of 36 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »