View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2014, 11:39 AM
So very sad, RIP Robin Williams, a true artist who made so many people laugh, such a shame.
Thoughts are with his family.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes, I heard this yesterday. Poor guy, I always cringe when people get so bad they resort to suicide. Always leave me thinking "What cold have been done?"

R.I.P. Robin Williams.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2014, 04:56 PM
It must be very difficult if perhaps your outside persona is based on a certain demeanor, then you're off stage and trying to pass for "normal"...I'm thinking of Philip Seymour Hoffman too...you do eventually lose yourself.

A tragic end to another very gifted actor
JTVN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Such sad news. Rest in Peace Robin Williams
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Remember he had a long history of alcoholism and drug addiction which of course leads to severe depression.

Substance abuse takes a terrible toll.
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Remember he had a long history of alcoholism and drug addiction which of course leads to severe depression.

Substance abuse takes a terrible toll.

On the other hand depression can also lead to alcholism and substance abuse. which of course makes the depression worse vicious circle.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by buglysprince View Post
On the other hand depression can also lead to alcholism and substance abuse. which of course makes the depression worse vicious circle.
That is no excuse for suicide. And he had access to all the help in the world. It is his family I feel for in this.

He made his choice; they didn't.

A bad example and he has let many down badly...a bad example
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Rose I am sorry I have to disagree about him being painted as bad for committing suicide.
We do not know what dark or how dark a place depressed people are in and what horrible place he was in. I do feel very sorry for his family but I will never accept anyone saying the person who committed suicide took the easy way out.
I suffered with depression for many years so can see it from both sides. Depression is not easy to live with and it doesn't matter how much you have and help you can or cannot afford there is no rational thinking when you are in that state.
I agree with bp depression can indeed lead to alcohol abuse or drug abuse.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Don't blame him Rose, he was married twice before and each time the exes bled him dry of cash. Well there is a limit to how much you can milk the sacred cow. He had serious financial problems and could see no way out. Those exes wont get anything now!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Rose I am sorry I have to disagree about him being painted as bad for committing suicide.
We do not know what dark or how dark a place depressed people are in and what horrible place he was in. I do feel very sorry for his family but I will never accept anyone saying the person who committed suicide took the easy way out.
I suffered with depression for many years so can see it from both sides. Depression is not easy to live with and it doesn't matter how much you have and help you can or cannot afford there is no rational thinking when you are in that state.
I agree with bp depression can indeed lead to alcohol abuse or drug abuse.
Lynn; life is precious and sacred and we are not alone to do as we want. We have a deep responsibility to others. You got through; many here got through, I got through. We all have it in us to get through and by doing so to help others to endure.

I in my life and work have supported families devastated by the suicide of those near to them. No one has the right to inflict that suffering on others. Period. The guilt, the pain.

In Ireland we are seeing a huge rise in suicide. And of course it is linked to the alcoholism that is deeply embedded in the whole culture here. Talking to a mother whose beloved son has killed himself gives a different view. Believe me. There have been times I would have followed that example in my own life.

For a famous person to do this gives a kind of permission to those who admired him. Irresponsible.

I was not calling him bad but saying that what he did was bad. Huge difference. This was an educated gifted man. With more resources than we will ever have.

He made bad choices when he could have made better. Period. For the sake of others.

There is never any excuse for suicide. Never. Not for alcohol or substance abuse at this level. He knew how to recover; I have sources of info on this.

And yes I have prevented suicides also in my life. Faced the darkness of others, held them through it.

My thoughts and prayers remain with his family. he faces the consequences now while they are left to suffer endlessly. Helena once said that suicide is selfish and I believe this totally. It is a rejection of love, of life, of those who love you. It destroys the lives of others.

Would be grateful if no one responded to this post as I am not coming back to this thread. We have terrible illness in our family just now and I am in prayer now for all... lighting candles....

Blessings and peace to all.....
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >