Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Raw diet - questions....

Firstly, I apologise if I've asked this before.

After the success of the breast of lamb, and the chicken wings, I am going to change over to a totally raw diet over the next few months (I have loads of tinned food left ).
My only issue with the breast of lamb, is that Lennon scarfs it down almost whole - the greedy little sod - so I may cut that up in future. That's the trouble with not having any bones in to slow him down.......

Apart from the two things above, what else can I feed? I'm guessing mince, but what quality? Are we talking Tesco here, or PAH? I don't have a huge freezer, so space is a little limited, but I do have a car, and it's not really any bother to go to PAH on a regular basis.

Also - veg. It's my understanding that it should be grated, to aid digestion. Carrots are the first thing that comes to mind. I know onions are a no-no, but what else is ok please?

Leanne has just recommended turkey legs, as they are reasonably cheap, so they're definitely on my shopping list.

Unfortunately, my only butcher is a fair walk from the car park, and I'm not sure if I could manhandle loads of stuff back home, thanks to my dicky back. Tesco do some good stuff in their Value range.

Also, should I supplement with SA37 or similar?

All suggestions and assistance gratefully received.

ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I feed:
lamb (meat and bones)
Beef mince (from a local butcher...basically the cheaper the mince, the higher the fat content...not generally an issue for dogs unless weight control is an issue. I tend to go for human grade and I've never tried them on PAH stuff so hopefully someone else can comment on that)

Most of the eOx heart, liver & kidney
chicken wings
Pork ribs
Fresh fish (mackeral, salmon, sardines, trout most commonly but also anything else that is cheap and readily available . They also get tinned sardines and, occasionally, tuna for a treat.
Tripe (frozen chunks from PAH)
Turkey legs (from supermarket)

Most of the meat I but comes from a farm butcher. Now that he knows us and knows we raw feed, he tends to keep us offcuts and stuff that he can't otherwise sell (approaching end of shelf life etc). I also tend to plunder the 'reduced' fridges in supermarkets as they can be a real treasure trove for the raw feeder.

Veggies...I whizz up a combination of fruit and veg in the food processor and freeze in portions. Depends what's available and cheap what I put in there but usually it'll contain carrot, apple, broccoli, garlic, some sort of leafy green (cabbage, spring greens or the like) but I'll throw in any veg that I happen to have to hand. However, I avoid peppers, tomatoes, potatoes & aubergines (not good for arthritic animals, as one of mine is), onions, leeks etc & avocado.

I don't use a food supplement as such...I do supplement with Vitamin E & C, fish oils and Glucosamine/Chondroitin for joint health more than for dietry reasons.

HTH
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi Vicki
Lot of questions and even more answers which will vary depending on who answers

Best thing I can do is to tell you what I've done in about 6 years of feeding raw. One dog was 11 when I changed her one 14 months and 2 rescues changed over at 6 months and 9 years

Mine don't get breast of lamb as I can't get it but I do have a gulper but he has learned to chew over time. For chicken wing gulpers I would hold the wing with a pair of pliers to slow him down maybe you could try that.

As to what you can feed I used AMP stuff which is what you see in P@H but have changed to Landywoods and that's fine too. If you can find good bargains via a butcher or supermarket go for it. I've used Tesco's value mince and wings and love looking for bargains in the reduced section. Mine have had pretty well every kind of meat but I only feed tinned mackerel pilchars and sardines after a few nasty recycling experiences I also give raw eggs including shell and cottage cheese sometimes

As for veg/fruit I used to feed it on a regular basis I but a selection through a blender raw and froze in portions but I don't bother so much now just tend to give mashed up cooked veg if I have leftovers but remember not to salt. I also give my youngest bits of fruit and veg as treats

I fed most things but watch out for tomatoes as too much can upset an arthritic dog

As for supplements again some do some don't I give Fish Body Oil Evening Primrose Oil Vit E and Garlic and my eldest gets Psyllium Husks for his anal glands

HTH
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 07:21 PM
mine get the mince from P@H about 4 times a week and they love it plus there carrots whole of chopped it does not matter it all goes. the mince is about £3.00 a bag i have had the beef and chicken ones and never any problems with the rear end iam hoping to get them on to raw full time in the next month fingers crossed good luck hun.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Make sure that your dogs have offal in their diets too. Kidneys, hearts, liver etc, but only once a week. I give pureed raw veg (broccoli, carrots, cauli, greens) but not fruit as my lot won't eat it. I also give them tinned sardines in tomato sauce. They get one tin between them every morning mixed with a small amount of kibble (a cheap tesco's one will do)

They also get chicken wings or turkey legs too, which you can buy the value stuff at Tesco's, and they get large raw knuckle bones once a week. Make sure you watch their poos and adjust their bone intake accordingly.

I give my lot SA37 just as a precaution. Shaan has synflex too because of his arthritis.

If they take to being fed totally raw, see if there's anyone near you that feeds the same way and put in an order at Landywoods.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I fed raw for 15yrs before changing (due to allergies in 1 of my current dogs)
I did mainly get beef chunks, tripe chunks and some mince from AMP direct at breeder prices which where at the time approx 20p a lb cheaper than PAH.
I also supplemented by using a local Halhal cash and carry where I could buy a full sheep liver for 50p a sheeps stomache unbleached for 50p, chicken wings 20p a lb, sheep hearts 25p each, I also used to get full carrier bags of sheep and lamb cutoffs for a £1 for approx 2.5kg, cows front legs for £1 all fit for human consumption.
I also from another butchers used to buy pigs trotters for 20p each, they only got them once a week as they are fattening.
I didnt feed veg, but a whole meal and veg biscuit mixer from AMP fed at a seperate meal time than the raw food, I also used to add olive oil to this. They also had eggs including shells, be careful of turkey skin.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Mine get breast of lamb, shin of beef, lamb ribs, marrow bones, chicken carcasses, chicken wings, tripe, ox hearts, kidney, liver,chicken mince, lamb mince, chicken & veg, chicken & tripe, lamb & tripe..all from Landywoods...

get a bigger freezer Vicki LOL
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
get a bigger freezer Vicki LOL
There's nowhere to put the beggar!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
There's nowhere to put the beggar!
The new ones can stay outside..just put it on a couple of bricks and chuck a tarp over it
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
The new ones can stay outside..just put it on a couple of bricks and chuck a tarp over it
I bought a cheap second hand freezer when I started raw feeding (didn't want to spend loads in case it didn't work out). The guy I bought it from had kept it in exactly this way...outdoors with a tarpaulin over it. Obvioulsy didn't do it any harm as it's still working fine for me a couple of years on
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >