Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Peak District walks

Please can you recommend some good walks on the Peak District We'll be staying in Burnaston near Derby. We're looking for a variety of walks, hill walking, woods, maybe some water etc. Remote would be good, ideally where we'll see as few people as possible
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Aren't Leanne and Aimee/SLB near there?? they post pics of lovely walks!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Yes, Leanne has already suggested two places but we're there for a few days so hoping to get a few more recommendations
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 07:01 PM
The places I mentioned arent actually in the Peak District, more in the rolling countryside of South Derbyshire and just up the A50 from where you are staying.

Well, where do you want me to start?? The Derbyshire Dales and the Peak District is beautiful and you will be spoilt for choice. The AA do a book called '50 Walks in the Peak District' which was my bible when I used to walk up there every weekend and well worth getting cheap off the internet.
Wolfscote Dale and Monsal Dale are exceptionally lovely.
I have a photo album which shows some photos of the area (including Calke). To the right you will find a sub-album with photos of the Peaks in.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i...cpZZ1QQtppZZ28
Whoopy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Elvaston castle
High peak trail
National stone centre
Black rocks
Tissington trail
Middleton top
Ilam park
Dove dale
Hassop station (trail next to cafe)
And many more
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 07:20 PM
I would give Elvaston Castle a miss, it can get very busy, especially when the kids are off and isn't a huge walk
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Same goes for Dovedale, thats always very busy. The Peak District as a whole is very busy so you will be hard pushed to find a remote walk.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 08:00 PM
So looking forward to all these walks Thanks for all the suggestions

I will have to take you on my favourite peak walk..its only 2.5 hours so we can do more than one walk that day!

Perhaps its where I go, or comparative to London but I find the peaks lovely and peaceful
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Bumpity bump...

Anyone else?
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Hi! Sorry- only just seen this.

If you pm me your email address I'll send you my Dog Walking Factsheet for the Chesterfield area. I work in Chesterfield Tourist Information Centre (well; it's now Chesterfield Visitor Centre lol!) and I felt we needed a Factsheet for visitors and locals. I'm still in the process of doing it lol so it still needs some work but it has a lot of information on it that you might find helpful.

I can email you a town centre map of Chesterfield too if it helps!

(If anyone's interested I actually have a complete list of every poo bin in the Chesterfield Borough Area! )

Also you may find these links useful:

(( Downloadable Trails for the Peak District area ))

(( Trails for the Chesterfield area))

Favourites of mine have to be the Reservoirs near Castleton - Ladybower etc. Beautiful area. You can park at Fairholmes Visitor Centre (although the laybys before the car park are free and the car park at the Visitor Centre is chargeable.... )

Also Monsal Trail is great and now the railway tunnels have been opened up it's really interesting.

Dogs can go in Crich Tramway Village, Renishaw Gardens, Chatsworth Gardens.

Dogs are also welcome in our Tourist Information Centre in Chesterfield. We have lots of walking leaflets and would be very happy to help!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >