Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 05:17 PM

Looking for a large breed puppy

Hi, have at the moment been looking for a 2nd dog, this has gone on for the past 3-4 months and have tried to do a lot of homework on different breeds.

I have a male japanese shiba inu, who can take an instant dislike to male older dogs, although is a super dog in the house, so that is the only reason i have been looking into puppies. I would like a bitch preferabley as i think that would suit him.

I have 2 children aged 8 and 10 so sound temperment has been at the forfront of any research regarding known parents.

any details of large breed litters looking for homes would be good. I live in Bristol

thanks
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2006, 05:37 PM
I think you need to tell us what you class as a large breed.
up to what size?
might help in narrowing down the dog which suits. also if your boy can be funny with bigger dogs how about a smaller breed than him less chance of problems in the future.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply, ok i have been looking into rottweilers and mastiffs, love newfoundlands and leos, but gooming puts me off, thats why i have been looking at short hair breeds. I would consider a cross breed.

Kai (my shiba), is quite small, spaniel size and i love larger dogs, although i wouldn't swap him for the world. I think if i had a puppy he would accept the new dog as past experience has shown , but if i had an older dog it would take a lot more time for him to accept a large new dog. Just to add that shiba's can be aloof with other dogs and kai was 7mths old when we got him. He gets on well with the cat and seems to be ok with bitch dogs.

I am also at home alot in the evening on my own with children, as husband can be away driving for several days, so a dog that i feel very secure with. I love walking in the woods but don't feel too safe with kai, but a larger dog i would. I also have a neighbour that is into drugs and house breaking, and i think a larger dog would give me a sense of security (so as much i love retrievers or labradors this isn't what i am looking for).

hope this helps.

hope this gives you more information,
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 06:08 PM
just wanted to add, a dog that wants to play ball and have it's belly rubbed 24/7 is the dog for us.

although i want a dog to make us feel secure, it's just looks and soft as muck personality is perfect for us.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2006, 08:20 PM
i know your put of by the grooming side but the leo fits the bill.

one of the reasons i got leo's is because like yourself my hubby works shifts and i am in the house at night by myself with the kids.
if people see mine on the drive no one comes down unless they know them, like you pointed out size is the 1st thing that hits you with leo's and not many would consider taking on a dog of their size they don't know.
tob and hol may be big dogs but both are as soft as puddings.
if your loooking for a big dog but short haired what about a great dane?
or like you have said a bull mastiff maybe?
looks and size would make most people think twice and give you the secure feeling your after.
no one comes near me when im out with tob if any thing they cross over if they don't know him or stay well back.
unless you can find a big x of some type at a rescue but the chances of being a pup to grow up with your boy i would think are slim.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 08:38 PM
hi, thanks leo... have to say your dogs are stunning, have noticed them in the past and your right it is the presence of a big dog that puts people off.

I have had experience of newfoundlands many years ago, and the grooming was just unbelievable. Beautiful dogs but a lot of work.

Also, the cost of puppies these days i have to consider, i have seen great danes, leo's etc for £1000. I have also seen some cross breeds selling for £700 and i just think thats alot of money and there are lots of dogs needing homes cheaper. Something will turn up.... just need to be patient and keep looking to get the right one for us.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2006, 08:47 PM
yeah the cost does need to be consider on any breed.
i don't know about neffies etc but leos range from 900 to 1200 so i believe.
i know we paid 900 for hol 2 years ago.
i wonder if their is rescues out there that cater for the larger breeds?
you could contact the rescues for the larger breeds.....i know the leo rescue have dogs looking for new homes and i don't know if your charged as such for them.
but again your getting a big dog all most right away which doesn't fit.
i hope you find the dog that fits the bill, i know mine are big and loads of grooming but they are worth it.........lol
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 08:55 PM
thanks for your advice, i could go to rescue centres and look, but most are dogs and not puppies needing homes i think i need to talk to a few rescue centres and see what they come up with. I will post a thread if and when i get a new member to our house and keep you updated.

thanks for your help,
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2006, 08:59 PM
any time, there has to be pups in rescues its just finding them.
like you said you could tell a large breed pup at that age any way.
fingers x'd.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Good luck with your search. Its very exciting
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >