Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CityTiger
New Member!
Male 

15-10-2011, 06:45 PM

Flynn - 2 Year Old Male Border Collie Cross - Nottingham

It is with great regret that we have to find our lovely border collie cross a new home as our cats have not adjusted to him being part of our family.

This is no fault of his own as he is actually fairly good with the cats its just that they are too scared of him and it is affecting their quality of life.

He is 2 years old and full of energy. Loves a lot of fuss and play and is a really affectionate, lovely dog.

He walks relatively good on a loose lead and his recall is pretty good too.

He will make an absolutely lovely pet for the right home. He is good with children, although because of his bouncy nature, would not suit a home with young children.

Would prefer to rehome him with someone who has past experience of dogs and ideally someone who will not have to leave him alone all day every day.

He is chipped, castrated and fully up to date on vaccinations including worming and flea treatments.

We are not bothered about receiving any money for him - the most important thing for us is that we know he is going to a good, loving home where he will be happy.

Please get in touch to discuss in more detail and perhaps arrange to meet.

Photo of the handsome chap below - breaks out heart to see him go so HAS to go to a good home!

Please contact me via:

Email: paul.j.bryant [at] googlemail [dot] com
Tel: 01159 207201

Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-10-2011, 08:02 PM
He looks lovely. How long have you had him? What's his history?

It will take the cats time, and they will eventually come around - it took my cat a long time to accept my dog, he was fine with her but she was unsure of his size (he's huge!).

If you give it time they will soon settle - you just have to let them do it at their own pace.
CityTiger
New Member!
Male 

15-10-2011, 08:26 PM
He is lovely which only makes giving him away more difficult!

We have had him about 6 months now. We got him from a rescue and unfortunately we don't know much about his life before he ended up there as they rescued him from the dog pound just before he was due to be put to sleep!

We tried to contact the rescue we got him from but they appear to be ignoring us which is bad but to be honest we don't want him to end up back in a rescue anyway!

As for the cats, one in particular is very timid as she is a rescue herself and we believe she was abused before we got her. Anyway she isn't adjusting well and spends most of her time upstairs out the way which isn't really fair on her.

Perhaps she would come round in time but after 6 months we thought she would be settling at least a bit by now but she isn't. She also has been diagnosed recently with a heart defect so we don't really want to put any extra stress on her life - hence why Flynn unfortunately is looking for a new home.

Hoping we can find someone soon!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Im so sorry you have to come to this decision, it must be hard.

I can see what your saying but it does take time with cats.

I hope you find a solution that suits you and wish you all the very best xxxxxxxxxxx If the rescue is ignoring you have you tried writing to them or calling back in person to see them xxxx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 07:05 AM
If they are being ignored it is best that they rehome privately I think.

To be honest they will care as much if not more about ensuring that the dog goes to a greta home.

Good luck.

rune
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 08:56 AM
So sorry you are in this situation. Your dog looks a delight.

I would be heartbroken if I were in your shoes, but I would also give it at least another 6 months.........
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
So sorry you are in this situation. Your dog looks a delight.

I would be heartbroken if I were in your shoes, but I would also give it at least another 6 months.........
I agree, another 6 months and see if the cats adjust.. There is a member on here who's collies herd her cat so she keeps them separate - doesn't mean the cat or the dogs have any less of a good quality of life..

You can have both dog and cat even if they don't get on well...

So sorry you're in this situation - he looks adorable
CityTiger
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
We did think about that, however we figured that in 6 months time if things had not changed then it would be even harder to do. He will have bonded with us more and vice versa.

We figured that it was probably best to do it sooner rather than later, especially as it could take us a few months to find him the right home anyway!

We spoke to our dog school and our vets and they pretty much said the same thing - that if its not working out then sometimes the best thing you can for the animals is to accept it just isn't meant to be.

Heartbreaking like I say but honestly feel like it is the best decision all round.
CityTiger
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
doesn't mean the cat or the dogs have any less of a good quality of life..

You can have both dog and cat even if they don't get on well...
True but as I mentioned, one of the cats has been diagnosed with a heart defect and so we really dont want to put her under any unnecessary stress. Also our house is quite open plan and fairly small so its quite hard to keep the apart without pretty much confining the cats to a single room!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I have to agree with what everyone else has said tbh, that you need at least a year when introducing cats to a dog - depending on the cat.

How old is the cat? What is the actual condition she suffers from and what is the prognosis?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >