Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Can't see any but Buddy reminds me alot of Woody from the description.

Hali, just curious, why is that your fav age range?
I like taking dogs on at that age because they're past being pups/teenagers (I sooo don't do puppies) but still young enough to be energetic, enthusiastic about learning and you've still hopefully got lots of years ahead with them. Two good walks a day and some play/training and they're usually happy to relax around the house.
As long as I have at least one other younger dog, I'd be happy taking on a much older dog (Kip was 8 or 9 when we took him on), but the timing would have to be right. I didn't regret for a second taking Kip on, but as you say, it was hard only having 5 years with him. But then we could've taken on a youngster and only had them that length of time for one reason or another.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I like taking dogs on at that age because they're past being pups/teenagers (I sooo don't do puppies) but still young enough to be energetic, enthusiastic about learning and you've still hopefully got lots of years ahead with them. Two good walks a day and some play/training and they're usually happy to relax around the house.
As long as I have at least one other younger dog, I'd be happy taking on a much older dog (Kip was 8 or 9 when we took him on), but the timing would have to be right. I didn't regret for a second taking Kip on, but as you say, it was hard only having 5 years with him. But then we could've taken on a youngster and only had them that length of time for one reason or another.
That all makes lots of sense to me. Thanks for sharing Hali.

I think once Woody goes I will be happy to take on a proper oldie (I think if I can get through that I can get through anything) but I can't see why I wouldn't want a 3-5 year old at all.

This thread has actually had me spending the last few hours browsing springer rescue sites (sat in tears and wondering how people can give up so easily and how they can be so cruel). I know as soon as we move to a bigger house (in another years time) I'm there with an 3-5 year old.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:59 PM
That all makes lots of sense to me. Thanks for sharing Hali.

I think once Woody goes I will be happy to take on a proper oldie (I think if I can get through that I can get through anything) but I can't see why I wouldn't want a 3-5 year old at all.

This thread has actually had me spending the last few hours browsing springer rescue sites (sat in tears and wondering how people can give up so easily and how they can be so cruel). I know as soon as we move to a bigger house (in another years time) I'm there with an 3-5 year old.
Great The one other thing I would say though is that from a selfish point of view, think about having at least 2 or 3 years between Woody and your new dog. Personally I wouldn't like to have two dogs of a similar age because I would be worried about losing them close together (although again, there's no guarantee that that won't happen whatever their ages).
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Great The one other thing I would say though is that from a selfish point of view, think about having at least 2 or 3 years between Woody and your new dog. Personally I wouldn't like to have two dogs of a similar age because I would be worried about losing them close together (although again, there's no guarantee that that won't happen whatever their ages).
LOL, the thought already crossed my mind.

A work colleague took on a 12 yo and a 9 yo a few years back just months apart and lost them both last year within 3 months. Just tragic!

She felt great knowing that they had a very happy last few years though. An inspiring woman in terms of her outlook on life and dog ownership in general.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i think its a shame older dogs can be overlooked

i got a puppy, but i had to get a dog who was good with young kids. we looked at a SBTx (18 months) who had lived with young kids but she was extremely bouncy and my mum is wary of dogs she doesnt know so sadly bonnie was just a bit too much for her. so they suggested a pup that could grow up with the kids, and my mum could be comfortable with. jake is just as bouncy as bonnie but because my mum knows him she is great with him!

i would happily have taken a oldie though i think for some people it just depends on circumstances, like for us with the kids. it can be hard to find an older dog who can go to a home with kids, especially young kids. many rescues say kids over 8 or over 12...
I do understand that plenty of rescues have blanket rules in place, but am pleased to say that our rescue (and others) have no blanket rules, but try to suit the right dog to the right home. Therefore if a family, experienced with GSDs, who had small children came to us for a dog, we would hopefully be able to find them an older dog who had grown up with young children and been assessed with them.

As the parent of a toddler myself though, I of course also understand the trepidation that parents may have in taking on a large, adult rescue.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Don't forget there are some folk out there who would LOVE an oldie but don't feel as if they can emotionally cope with it. After all, the chances of it dying are alot closer.

I'd love to one day but for now, selfishly I would one my woofer to live as long as possible with me.

p.s. I have HUGE respect for anyone who takes in the oldies!
I can completely understand that mentality, especially when many people come to rescue having recently lost their (usually) older dog.

However, as Hali has said, when I am talking of "older" dogs, quite often this is only as "old" as 3 years +!

I hope when I am elderly, I am still active enough to be able to rehome a couple of really oldie dogs - that would be great.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Why is it that everyone initial enquiry and homecheck I have done recently insists on wanting a young dog (under a year old)?

I really wish people would be a little more open-minded on the age of dog they are looking for and see what benefits an older dog can bring.

Do others in rescue struggle to find homes for their older residents (and those older than 1 or 2 years old)?
Yes and it seems to be the thinking that older dogs incur vet bills and young ones dont
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi

Jack was 6 when we found him, Robbie and Lady were 4 and all of them learnt new routines within a few days. Robbie and Lady needed to be house trained but after a week of getting a gravy bone when they 'went' outside, it soon clicked with them.

We prefer older dogs because it's nice seeing them come out of themselves over time, rather than a puppy that is enthusiastic from the start. It feels more rewarding having an older dog learn to trust and play with us.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Have to say this worries me, i have one coming up to 6, two will be five this year and one who will be 4, it wasn't deliberate, 2 out of my 4 are with me because they really couldn't go anywhere else
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Have to say this worries me, i have one coming up to 6, two will be five this year and one who will be 4, it wasn't deliberate, 2 out of my 4 are with me because they really couldn't go anywhere else
So you'll just had to add a 3 year old as your 5th in 3 or 4 years time

Seriously as you say, sometimes you can't plan but even if you do, it doesn't work out the way you thought.

on the positive side of having them all a similar age, they'll probably all be up for the same amount of exercise/play etc and you don't have to worry about younger ones winding up the oldies.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >