View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MooDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2012, 07:38 PM

New old addition..... advice required ! (long post)

ok so here the background of my issue.

a year past January i got a little black kitten, who i named Luna, she was great and very cuddly, sweet and so attention seeking i couldn't quite believe it.. everything was going well, she was spayed at 5 months and then may last year came, we moved house. After speaking with my vet and following the recommendation of keeping her in for 4 weeks i let her her outside into our garden, she never ventured far,at the end of August i had started to notice luna wasn't coming home as often, thinking it was fairly normal as she was still coming home at night and sleeping in the house i carried on letting her out, one night early in september she didnt come home. i was quite worried about her and called her lots but no sign of her. and from there on i didnt see or hear of her for weeks, despite my hunting and telling neighbours, vet, cat shelter ect. eventually i heard through the grape vine that people about 7 or 8 doors away from me had recently got a small black cat.... naturally i went to investigate, and there she was sitting in their livingroom happy as larry! i advised the people she was infact MY cat and i had been missing her. they said " tough s**t shes ours now" i involved the police as it seemed to be theft, in my opinion anyway!!! the police asked if she was chipped and could i prove she was mine, i replied, no she isnt chipped but my vet can identify her and she knows me and i have photos, vacc card ect. the police approached the people who had taken her out to local animal shelter and chipped MY cat!!!

cutting to the chase police said legally she is theirs, but on the plus they obviously want her so she will be looked after!!! i was forced to drop it as nothing i could do ow except try to live in comfort she would be loved.....

about 1 week ago i was informed Lunas NEW people had moved away and abandoned her!!!! and she had now been "stray" for almost 3 months! so i informed police and cat rescues and vet again! a kindly lady who lived 2 doors down from Lunas new family had been feeding her and bought a cat box for her to sleep in ( she couldnt have her in the house as she has 3 cats of her own) after 2 weeks she managed to coax luna into the cat box, secure her in and hand her into the cat rescue, who phoned her new family to tell them she was their. they replied by saying " that nasty cat scratched our baby, we dont want it." police contacted me to say would i have her back, obvious answer YES!!!!!!!!!

so i collected her on monday night, not to find my cuddly little girl...... i came head to head with a skinny, semi ferral, scared little shell of what was my former cat...

totaly heart broken, she seemed to know me so i was so happy to get her home..... now heres where i need advice...

she is now in my new home, where she has to get used to living with my other cat, which she knew before, my dog which she knew before, but also my flat mate, her dog, her 2 cats and my pup!!! now i know this is a lot for her to cope with, i am going to get some feliway at the weekend, she has ventured out from behind the sofa tonight and came tome for cuddles, but any quick movements and she attacks, she doesnt seem bothered by the dogs as they are very respectful and she ha only growled my other cat, she hasnt met my flat mates 2 older cats yet. i cant get her to eat.... i have tried hi-life meat, felix meat, felix as good as it looks, whiskas dry, pets at home dry and mackerel fillets... nothing so far has taken her fancy...

so what im looking for advice on is the least stressful way to intro her to flat mates cats, and how to tempt her to eat, also any advice on helping her settle after her horrible ordeal would be great!!!!

sorry for long post but had to explain why i need advice, as well as actually vent the frustration of these b******s that stole and abandoned her!!!!
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Confine her to one room so she makes this her safe room, if she is eating wet food add some Zylkene to it takes the edge off we use it with ferals to great effect

Feliway plug ins also help the happy hormone for cats and then try mixing scents by swapping out bedding we use fleecy blankets and towels for this purpose in their beds also some high places she can get to hide helps

Also get the Chip changed to your name as soon as possible

We use baby gates to give the cats access to everywhere but restrict the dogs to where we want them to be we have 3 Adult Border collies and the cats adore them in fact some of them like the dogs more than the humans

If you need more advice drop me a pm we have 35 ferals living with us ranging from nasty to huggies so have a lot of experience with introductions
MooDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2012, 09:13 PM
thanks to the help of the rescue and police the chip info is in the process of being changed to me!

luna ha now been back almost 1 week, and is settling down she was lying sleeping on my lap earlier on, and is happy for me to pet her and will allow my flat mate to touch her occasionally although she is very wary, she has started to settle with the dogs again and isn't hiding quite so much when they are around, this all being a new development today.......

shes starting to soften in the eyes and isnt looking quite so wild! but its still going to be a long road, she knows who i am and is starting to feel comfortable with me handling her which right now is my main priority, iv managed to get her eating now too, but she will ONLY eat sainsburys own tinned cat meat, or felix as good as it looks, which is fine as i buy as good as it looks for other cat!!!

just wish she hadnt been through such a nasty traumatic time lately. but so glad to have me wee princess back home safe and sound!!!!!

thanks for advice lizz, i may be in touch soon to help me get through this with luna