Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Look at you with all your answers i think i got 2

The more I sit and think on it the more i think that yes it can be passed down x
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I think kcjack has a point in that this discussion is relevant to all breeds but I put it here as I own a NI and am aware there has been alot of concern recently about the suitability of certain stud dogs.

Can I ask, what would you define as aggression? What would be the turning point when you changed from saying a dog has a bad temprement to saying a dog was aggressive or are the two so closely linked it is difficult to say when it changes?

Obviously if the dog actually attacks someone, then you clearly have an aggressive dog but what about before that, where would you say it starts?
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Oops, sorry hun didn't realise you had posted it on here as well!!
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Sorry, Jem has started a thread in the Training and Behaviour section covering this issue.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=97811
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jo_W View Post
Oops, sorry hun didn't realise you had posted it on here as well!!
lol I post everywhere lol x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
To answer your first question, there is no doubt that temperament is passed down to offspring. This goes for good and bad temperaments. This was the deciding factor for choosing Beau, having met a lot of Beaus 's relatives, they all have amazing temperaments.
Nurture also comes into it of course but dogs with poor temperaments should never be bred from no matter the breed.
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Would you say then, that if a dog who had say a destructive and dominant temprement was used as a stud, it would be highly likely that these traits would be passed on?

Would the resulting puppies continue with these traits despite the environment they were raised in and regardless of their new owners influence?

I'm beginning to feel as though I'm picking brains now, sorry
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jo_W View Post
Would you say then, that if a dog who had say a destructive and dominant temprement was used as a stud, it would be highly likely that these traits would be passed on?

Would the resulting puppies continue with these traits despite the environment they were raised in and regardless of their new owners influence?

I'm beginning to feel as though I'm picking brains now, sorry
I think then it comes down to which breed you are looking at, some breeds have dominance stated as their breed characteristic. Destructive is a hard one because again some breeds are known to be destructive if their energies are not channelled correctly. So IMHO the examples given would not sway me away from breeding in certain breeds.
Have I copped out
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Some have said on the other thread that aggresive dogs shouldn't be bred from, would that mean then that all breeds who say were originally bred to fight guard kill peasants ect should be banned from breeding ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Is `aggression` an inherited trait. I can see that a certain tendency to nervousness or arrogance or a strong prey drive would be in-bred, but surely to turn this to aggression requires environmental factors? For instance a strong-willed dog could go either way.
I know certain conditions can be inherited (cocker Rage syndrome ) but I`d be interested to know from breeders on here if they know of `lines` that tend to aggression.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >