08-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Terrifying moment a woman nearly died trying to save her dog from a frozen lake

It's okay - they both survived.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Clitheroe.html
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh may, glad they are both ok. Not sure i would be stood there taking picture while all this is going on though.

The pic when the dog had got out made me chuckle, the woman is still trying to get out and the lad has already wandered off! Bless him
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I like how the photographer says she's convinced she was watching someone about to die - didn't stop her continuing to take photos though!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 01:14 PM
the same thing happens every year, morons take their dogs for walks near rivers and lakes which are frozen, allow them to go on it and then try to save them when dogs can swim a whole lot better than humans (they have 4 legs and good insulating coats in the case of labs) fully clothed in sub zero temperatures.

Obviously this dog walker never reads the newspapers or watches tv or LEARNS from other people's mistakes.

This thoughtless behaviour then puts OTHERS at risk as they try to save them from an entirely avoidable and forseeable accident!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 01:19 PM
I want to condemn the woman but it would be incredibly hard to watch your dog drown without doing something to try to help.

We learned the hard way (husband had to rescue one of our oldies once) and never allow them off lead around water but it took our own experience to make us believe it could happen to us.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2010, 02:35 PM
I love the look on the dogs face as he is walking away looking very pleased with its self.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't think the person taking the pics did anything wrong.....there was someone there trying to help the lady in the water....why put another life at risk?!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I don't think the person taking the pics did anything wrong.....there was someone there trying to help the lady in the water....why put another life at risk?!
Fair enough she couldn't help but I just feel it's a bit morbid to take photos of someone you think is dying (and then presumably give/sell them on to the newspaper)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Think of it this way, it could be used in evidence.......... so useful for the coroner (fortunately not in this case)
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
We have quite a few small lakes where we walk our dogs and as soon as the ice starts to form, we stay well away from them. Even when the snowmobilers are travelling along the lakes, we don't let the dogs run out on the ice or they may do it when the ice is too thin.

Last winter a lady lost her little poodle and her Pom which wandered out on the ice and went through. When they found the dogs it was too late as they had fallen through the ice and drowned. They were visiting and just let the dogs out not realizing the danger.