Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Home alone - safe, long lasting chews?

As I start full time work, I'm looking for ways to occupy Moon while he's home alone. Obviously, he'll have a Kong. When I am home to supervise, he loves the odd bone however I wouldn't want to leave him unsupervised with one in case he chokes on a slither (same for rawhide chews, except he won't eat them unless pre chewed by another dog !!!!!).

He has a Nylabone and another similar product with marrowbone flavour down the middle. He enjoyed these while in quarantine and getting bored,however since coming out he doesn't really bother to chew these. He likes Pedigree Denta Rasks but they don't last him very long.

Anyone have suggestions for long lasting dog chews to keep him occupied but that are safe for him to chew alone? Or other ways to occupy him woulod be good (although he's VERY lazy and can't be bothered to get food out of Buster cubes or roller balls, we've tried )
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
You could try hiding small treats that are safe for him to eat unsupervised aroung the area he is in whilst you are out. This way he has something to do while you are out.I found stuffing tripe sticks sideways on into a Kong so that they are almost jammed is a great timefiller and keps Fudge occupied for ages.....good luck!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not there to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed. I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.
Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 10:09 PM
The only thing I can think of is Busy Buddy.

Very much along the same lines as the Kong though, so perhaps not much use?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
mine have the raw hide chews, they are £3 for 2 from P@H
ATD x
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Do you stuff and freeze the kong? They keep my two occupied for about an hour this way.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
mine have the raw hide chews, they are £3 for 2 from P@H
ATD x
I never give Rawhide chews since they stopped being produced in the UK. Abroad the hide is treated with carcinogenic chemicals banned here in the UK. Add to this that they have been responsible for dogs choking to death means that they are a big no-no for dogs left on their own.

Raw meaty bones, frozen stuffed Kongs, UK produced dried tripe sticks
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes, rawhide is quite risky anytime plus messy.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
We have a weeble type thing, called a Dog Pyramid, that you can fill with kibble and they have to bat it around a bit to get all the kibble out. I use it to give Murphy his breakfast as I'm leaving for work. It keeps him occupied for ages.

The only downside is, apart from the fact it makes a such a racket, is that it's made of hard plastic and it take it's toll on your skirting boards. They could've made it out of tough rubber!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2009, 09:11 AM
cows ears last my 2 ages
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >