Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 08:56 AM

Somebody out there

I don't have a video cam or a mic, but sometimes when I am working on the PC with broadband connected I get people talking at me - how does this happen and how can I stop it, it makes the dogs bark to hear this stranger in the room yelling at me. Does it have something to do with aol Buddy system?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-11-2005, 09:58 AM
How odd! I take it the sound just happens, no other apps pop up like Media Player or anything?

I assume you have a filter installed to split the connection between your modem/router and the phone, at the phone socket? Maybe it's on the blink and you need a new one. I believe they cost all of a fiver...
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 11:55 AM
No nothing else, just a disembodied voice saying "hello, hello are you there, talk to me" and things like that, bit creepy really. Have a new modem but it used to happen on the old one too but usually in the evening but this was this morning and the house was quiet, it made me jump and the dogs bark, it quite put me off my on-line jigsaw and I am addicted to doing that with my breakfast.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2005, 11:57 AM
if you have a buddy call or something simular have a look if it is on automatic answer if it is turn it of
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm with aol and you get the Buddy thing without asking for it, not sure if you can turn it off but I will have a look and see, also get msgs from ladies inviting me to join them in their bedrooms, not really my style, would complain but I keep hoping one day it may be a young man
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
I'm with aol and you get the Buddy thing without asking for it, not sure if you can turn it off but I will have a look and see, also get msgs from ladies inviting me to join them in their bedrooms, not really my style, would complain but I keep hoping one day it may be a young man
LOL@Thordell ........... tell me about it
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
if you get too many ladies i can help you out there
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Fred, be my guest, take them all
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm on AOL dialup (but not for much longer, I hope!), and I "hide" AOL to boot up Firefox as browser. Every now and again, I get a "rrrrrrring" noise, which is AOL telling me someone has sent me a "knock-knock" IM (usually someone called GuFuxy2790654 or similar ) - so hiding AOL doesn't actually shut it up!

Nowadays, AIM carries the facility not only for video linking, but for speech transmission: perhaps this may be what's causing your ghostly voices? AOL is a highly intrusive bit of software and tends to get its sticky little fingers into everything (one of the reasons I want to get rid of it).

It might clear up if you sack AOL and go to another ISP (just about any is better than AOhelL).

Just a thought - perhaps some more computer-savvy chappie like Fred might have a better idea!, if you can feed him some bromide and get his mind off the strangely-named ladies!

Snorri
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Duggie, I use Firfox as a browser too but just minimise aol or leave it underneath. This is deff. a voice, female voice, it's creepy, have wondered may times about ditching aol but when I asked it seems most people have trouble with which ever ISP they are with so I thought better the devil etc. must say now aol are charging for phone calls they are not any cheaper than others although their on-line service is pretty good always providing you are on-line to start with.

Must say that because I have been with aol for so long I find other email systems difficult to understand and I can hear my husbands wails now if I change anything he will be moaning and yelling for help every few minuets, which would not matter if I knew the answers but having been married for 49 years this Thursday he knows when I am waffling and becomes a right Victor Meldrew.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >