View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Undeniably there are so many crossbreed dogs being thought of/named as "designer dogs" and a lot of the crosses come from the smaller breeds of dog and this does bring problems with indiscriminate breeding. A lot of people without adequate knowledge want to breed from their pets regardless of the quality being bred from and the quality of the puppies produced. What can be thought of as an easy financial gain is also a strong motivator to breed litters from a "pet" dog - if a bitch has six puppies and they are sold at a "designer" price of say £800 minimum then that appears a very attractive profit to be made from a litter. This can bring problems, including health, especially if appropriate tests are not in place for both parents, but at least there is not close inbreeding happening with a F1 cross. There are also many people who are fooled into believing they are getting something special by obtaining these "new" breeds (crosses). Some of the names they call the offspring are embarrassingly strange IMO and there are new ones appearing all the time - the larger breeds are also starting to be used - I have just seen advertised a litter of boxskeys (a boxer and a husky can you believe). I have also seen advertised a mastiff and a cane corso cross I really do wonder if people know what they are doing.

Having said all that, as long as people are aware of what they are buying, there are some very nice puppies to be found amongst the first crosses. A nicely bred cockerpoo is a very attractive crossbreed which can fit in with family life IMO, albeit there is a wide variety within this cross.

I am going to be completely up front and say that having owned quite a number of dogs throughout the years (all pedigree and from the gundogs and the odd collie) I have recently committed to buy a crossbreed puppy - a cockerpoo. I have looked at many of these crosses owned by people I meet when out and they seem to be a very handy type of dog. The cocker spaniel is a nice breed (especially the working cocker and the poodles are very intelligent dogs who are able to do many things if they are allowed to. There are many cockapoos now starting to compete agility and they appear to make excellent companion dogs for the person who wants an affectionate, lively small/medium sized dog. I have not even considered the hypoallergenic/non-moulting aspect they advertise with these crosses as that does not bother me or affect my choice. The biggest thing to consider with cocker/poodle crosses (cockapoos) I can see with this is the grooming work and the need to have regular "hairdressing" appointments to keep them properly.

I have not made this decision lightly, and I am aware that folks may well say I have bought a "designer" dog. This embarrasses me because possessing a "designer" dog was not a motivator in my choice of pup. As usual when I choose a pup to bring into my family I have done my homework regarding what I want and where I buy from. Like a pedigreed pup my pup has five generation pedigree parents on both sides and these parents have had the appropriate tests for their breeds and are both KC registered - so I can look them up. Mum is a working cocker and father is a miniature poodle, so the pups are F1 crossbreeds. I feel as if I have done as much (if not more) than I would routinely do if I were choosing a pedigree pup and I have not been persuaded into paying an astronomical price. I have taken my time and the home the pup is coming from is a knowledgible one (someone who keeps working cockers and labs) and I was impressed with the cleanliness of the home and the welfare and quality of the pups. The breeder was more than happy for me to ask all the questions I wanted to and, in turn, they checked me out. Currently the pups are six weeks old and I made my choice of puppy yesterday. Time will tell if I have the dog I hope to be getting - but at least I have done my best and I am fully expecting that my pup will turn out to be a normal, get wet and mucky, happy dog who I hope will live a long time.

I've gone on a bit (sorry) but what I think I am getting at is that, as it ever was, when buying a dog it is up to the purchaser to consider all angles and make a rational and informed decision about what they want from a living creature who they have responsibility for possibly for the next 14 or so years.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Good post Aerolor and I wish you all the best with your designer dog!! Your reasoning behind your choice is very thoughtful. I personally do not have a problem with this type of cross-breeding provided that it is done correctly, with thoughtfulness, care and most importantly with health tests on both sides. There are several cockerpoos around me and they are delightful dogs; I love both breeds, particularly poodles, personally I think this particular cross is a very successful one. The intelligence and stateliness of the poodle seems to temper the hyperactivity of the spaniel somewhat!

What idiot would cross a boxer with a husky though? All the boxers I have ever met have been lovely-natured dogs (with one marked exception) but powerful, forward-going with a strong tendency to be assertive with other dogs. To mix those traits with the highly intelligent, high prey-drive and high maintenance husky to my mind is madness. I am a huge northern breed fan, owning a malamute cross myself, so I am very biased in favour of the husky, but NOT crossed with a boxer - no way!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the reply Gnasher. This pup is to live with a 6 year old golden retriever bitch and even though he (cockapoo) is going to be quite a bit smaller I am thinking they won't be a bad match and she will be there to help him learn his manners. I have been taking care of a cockapoo pup (recently) and it has been lovely watching them playing together. I said Bonnie my GR was going to be my last dog (and certainly she will be my last big dog) but my son and daughter have told me that I am not past it yet and still have the capacity to cope with another pup, which is nice of them. They usually regard me as being in my dotage Mind you daughter is expecting me to dogsit her pup regularly, so she can't say much different can she?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Sounds lovely ... good luck with the plans. Daughters ... arent they a nightmare!!
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Dog fights. I hate how so many dogs have to suffer for human enjoyment! Even when they are rescued later, this experience will still be with them and deter most from adopting them. All dogs deserve to be in happy home with people who love and care for them.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2017, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
So called good breeders, who linebreed and say that this is fine because they test....................... These idiots always pick the cutest dog, and sell the rest. If cute was healthy, no testing would be needed.
This response doesn't make sense. (Nor do I see the post matter as big problems).
Why would the line breeding not be fine?
What is wrong with keeping the "cutest"? They are the breeder, they pick what they want. Why would they breed a dog and pick the dog they least desire. Actually I've never even observed this, just saying if it did happen. Breeders pick the dog they like best or think will have the traits they want. Good breeders are usually not breeding for cuteness, yeah never heard of that, so they wouldn't pick the cutest. That is also in the eye of the beholder. I got a dog a line breeding, sure she was a cute pup but to me her sister was cute and brindle so I wanted her lol. Yet different people had different opinions on them. I did a line breeding, kept the pups I felt best represented what I wanted / would mature into what I desired. Not the pup I felt the "cutest".
Did the breeders ever insinuate that cute = healthy. No the health testing makes them healthy or likelier to be healthy (depending on the health issue and type of testing).
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-03-2017, 09:31 PM
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...irway_syndrome

You seriously do not see dogs that can not breath as a problem?
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Where did any posters sat dogs that can't breath are "not a problem"?
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2017, 07:41 AM
There are many types of activities against dogs which should be banned. One of such activities is animal abuse. Many videos are being posted on social media regarding animal violence. Strict action should be taken against those who are involved in animal abuse.
phillipsmind
New Member!
Male 

25-05-2017, 04:31 AM
Spent the day looking for s soft place to sleep...found a new bed
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >