View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 10:56 PM

Carpet (why is dog licking/trying to eat the carpet?)

Brandie has just got up and started licking the carpet and trying to eat it
I let her outside and she started eating all the plants. I brought her back in because I didn't know if there was anything dangerous there and she continued snapping at the carpet trying to eat it for a minute or two then went back to bed

She hasn't been sick and seems fine now.

Does anyone have any idea what was wrong?

She has done this once before and nothing else was wrong afterwards but I am still worried.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
Brandie has just got up and started licking the carpet and trying to eat it
I let her outside and she started eating all the plants. I brought her back in because I didn't know if there was anything dangerous there and she continued snapping at the carpet trying to eat it for a minute or two then went back to bed

She hasn't been sick and seems fine now.

Does anyone have any idea what was wrong?

She has done this once before and nothing else was wrong afterwards but I am still worried.

Ooh that sounds really strange behaviour Brandiesnap - I have never heard anything like that before. Maybe Mini or Shadowboxer could advise you what to do when they see this post. Dogs can be so strange at times can't they Benji was crying the other night to come out of my daughters bedroom (I keep him in there with a babygate to stop him wandering in the night and disturbing us) so I got out of bed (very reluctantly) and let him out and came downstairs thinking he wanted to go in the garden. Well the little sod just came into the living room wagged his tail at me and then wanted to go back upstairs again Think he thinks its a good game - perhaps he's trying to keep me fit having me running up and down the stairs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Brandysnap I don't know why Brandy did this, if she stopped and was then ok I would not worry too much . Like us dogs get tummy upsets sometimes and I was once told by an old handler that dogs not only eat grass and herbs as an emetic but also chew long strands of grass to tickle the throat and induce vomiting a bit like putting fingers down the throat in a human. I do not know if this is correct or not but it sounds logical...perhaps Brandy was doing this with the plants or carpet. That other thing is dogs sometimes get things lodged across the roofs of their mouths or between their teeth and this can result in odd behaviour as the dog tries to free the object
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for replying.

She is lying down sleeping now Perhaps she did have something stuck or was feeling a bit unwell.
As long as she is fine now that's all that matters

I'll probably still worry until tomorrow though

I hope Benji doesn't get into the habit of doing that Foxy He could have great fun with you
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
Thanks for replying.

She is lying down sleeping now Perhaps she did have something stuck or was feeling a bit unwell.
As long as she is fine now that's all that matters

I'll probably still worry until tomorrow though

I hope Benji doesn't get into the habit of doing that Foxy He could have great fun with you

Glad that she's okay again now Brandiesnap - I would ignore him but always worry in case he does really want to go out Funny really how Laura seems to sleep right through his crying
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Glad that she's okay again now Brandiesnap - I would ignore him but always worry in case he does really want to go out Funny really how Laura seems to sleep right through his crying

Thanks Foxy. She is still asleep so hopefully all is ok

Maybe Laura pretends to sleep so you get up instead
You have to let them out though or they'll have an "accident" just to make you regret it
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Hope she's feeling better today Brandiesnap
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond
Hope she's feeling better today Brandiesnap

Yes, thanks, she is fine today! We've just had a lovely walk with her running about all over the place
getting very wet and muddy