View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-09-2011, 05:56 AM
I've been pregnant twice in my life had dogs both times but they never altered their behaviour in any way at all, but then again nor did I. A lot of women seem to change the minute they know they're pregnant which has always been a bit of a mystery to me to be honest. I tend to think it's the humans that change their behaviour and the dogs react to those changes.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think you are making 2 + 2 = 5 here.

Male GSD change enormously between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. Without further information no conclusions can be drawn ie

Genetics of dog
Environment
Triggers etc.

Personally I would not make such gigantic leaps and look for something far more prosaic..........
I agree with the above. I`ve been pregnant three times and my GSDs never showed any behavioural changes.
I would be looking at changes of routine and stress in the owners.
A friend is pregnant and I was shocked at the level of stress - from people telling her to have her dog put down to the huge list of stuff she wasn`t `allowed` to eat, to the expectations of all and sundry that she would be getting the thousand pound pram of course and the Beckham aapproved baby wear. Let alone the disapproval of all and sundry if she carried a package or had a drink.
In my day you were expected to get on with it. Apaprt from the occasional Old Wives Tale we were blissfully unaware of all the terrible things that happened if you ate camembert or didn`t play Bach to your belly.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do not understand why you would clap a dog?????????
My dog likes it when you clap him, I did it once when he finally got something I'd been teaching him and now he enjoys it like he does verbal praise.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Interesting thread Starhope I had three dogs when I became pregnant and I don't remember any of them changing their behaviour - although tbh there were many other changes happening in our lives at the time as I was moving to Scotland also ... so there could possibly have been changes in them that I missed.

However, as others have said, I didn't change myself, our routine in any major way, or the way I treated or interacted with them - so perhaps it is down to how the human is reacting to being pregnant that is causing the changes in their dogs.

There was a discussion a while back about bitches in a household that lived peaceably together most of the time, but that would become fractious and even fight with each other when their female owner was having her period. She was convinced her own menstrual cycle was affecting the behaviour of her bitches. If this were the case (as it certainly appeared to be) then it wouldn't totally surprise me that certain dogs behaviour could change during their owner's pregnancy.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I use a clap sometimes to get a dog`s attention (to avoid repeating a command).
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I know a few of you are saying the same thing, it's the owners changing rather than any 'feeling' of pregnancy the dog gets...

BUT I have kept my routine the same. I've been just as busy. I'm very much 'i'm pregnant, not ill' and have got on with everything the same, my hormones haven't altered UNTIL about a week ago when i am feeling more short tempered and now believe it is 'the pregnancy hormones' something i just thought women used as an excuse-never been one to get tetchy when it's that time of the month! - but my female's behaviour changed months before this. I even forget i'm pregnant most the time!

But I always said our Keisha was a 'sensitive' type so I really do believe the pregnancy has affected her rather than my own behaviour.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3