Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Congratulations on your pup!

You don't need my permission or blessing to get a pup but you have a reason for buying a schnoodle - you know people who have them and they're nice dogs.

Had you been to a schnauzer breeder, I'm sure nobody would have said anything about health tests, however, you could have gone to a stinking dump of a puppy farm and got one, which would've been far worse from going to a schnoodle breeder who purposely cross bred two breeds.

As far as I'm concerned as long as they've had health checks, the parents are nice dogs I can't see the big problem.

My parents always had crossbreeds and Takara is our first pedigree animal of any kind and from what I know most people with crosses have said they are healthier animals anyway!

Good luck with your pup - can't wait to see piccies!
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2006, 11:22 AM
congratulations on your new puppy!

everyone pls stop talking about x breeds your scaring me with the health problems!

fingers crossed my baby (staff x ridgeback) is in excellent health apart from his allergies in the cold months, bless him he gets a rash in wet grass!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Think people are misunderstanding some of the posts, we ask questions because we care about dogs and their health and welfare, we care as well about the people who buy designer pups because they may be getting more problems than they expect. We would love to joining in the euphoria of someone getting a new puppy but can not help being worried. Sorry about that but my first concern is for the dog. And yes I would ask questions of anyone I was buying a puppy from and advise others to do the same. We do not know where this pup is coming from as none of the worried questioners have been answered, and they have given up asking as they are being made to feel that they should not be caring about the dogs
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Think people are misunderstanding some of the posts, we ask questions because we care about dogs and their health and welfare, we care as well about the people who buy designer pups because they may be getting more problems than they expect. We would love to joining in the euphoria of someone getting a new puppy but can not help being worried. Sorry about that but my first concern is for the dog. And yes I would ask questions of anyone I was buying a puppy from and advise others to do the same. We do not know where this pup is coming from as none of the worried questioners have been answered, and they have given up asking as they are being made to feel that they should not be caring about the dogs
It's like Lottie mentioned in her post though...She could have bought a KC recognised breed from some puppy farm...and or from poor breeding and no thought to lines or health...There should be equal concern for the health and welfare of all puppies no matter what type they are. Some people are in it for the money wether it is with breeding crosses or recognised breeds. Some owners will give these crosses great homes, some may not, some recognised breeds may go on to have an awful life...They are all dogs.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
No I agree with what you're asking, I just think that it wouldn't have been asked quite the same had it been a pure bred dog. 'I do hope they've had health checks'.

I can understand it, there's one thing I hate and that is people cross breeding dogs (1st generation) and giving them a new name. This isn't really a schnoodle it's poodle x schnauzer.
However, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and as dazzler hasn't actually replied yet, I will reserve judgement as to whether healthchecks have been done, parents seen, and the reason for this particular cross until I know.

I think due to the numbers of irresponsible breeders who don't do healthchecks etc. people are very defensive when they first hear it and that's why some of the posts sound harsh.

I can understand everyone's concern, it concerns me too, but let's try and reserve judgement and keep calm until we know the facts
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 12:25 PM
I assure you as far as I am concerned it would be the same what ever the dog, the reason for the concern in this case is that most responsible breeders would not even consider breeding designer dogs, what would be the point, responsible breeders breed to improve the breed not to make money. Accidents happen, and we accept that but responsible breeder also charge the minimum to the purchaser, just enough to cover expenses. As you say we do not know the truth in this case so we wait in hope that we will be given the full story.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
Our first dog was a Cocker X He was PTS aged 3 he had gone blind with herditary blindness & had a dreadful temperament This was in 1956 BTW

Our next was a Alsatian with a dreadful temperament(fear biter)she was PTS aged 3

My next dog was a GSD bred from German dogs who had been health screened & temperament tested before they were bred from(the very early hip schenme in Germany) She has a lovely temperament & was sound & healthy & lived into ther mid teens-this was 1958 to 1973

I've had another X breed(rescue) since she had Severe HD went blingd in both eyes from PRA & was unilaterally deaf when i got her She too lived into her teens, but she did cost me mega bucks at the vets

Would i ever have another X from a puppy Nope unless I rescued him/her the emotion cost of a badly bred dog would be too much

BTW my puppy who is from 30+ years of CEA clear pedigree is a CEA carrier however because his parents were screened & eye tested he doesn't have CEA & that's a whole lot different from being a carrier

Good luck with your puppy I hope your experience of X breeds is better than mine

Our first dog in the late 50's was a mongrel - she was a lovely dog and lived to be 16 years old and was never at the vet.

Our next dog was also a mongrel and he was 13 when he had to be put to sleep on the vets advice because he was terrified of thunder and lightening and any sort of bangs but he was very healthy in himself and was never ill.

We then had another Mongrel who lived till she was 16 and again hardly ever went to the vet - she got kennel cough once from my sisters dog that had been kennelled and had conjunctivitus once that was easily cured but other than that extremely healthy.

We then had a rescue dog although she only lived to 10 because she got kidney problems with being overweight because my dad wouldn't stop feeding her.

My sister has 3 mongrels now - Bichon cross Yorkies and they are all extremely healthy and are 11 years old this year
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I do share many of the concerns of the above posters and let me first say, in no way do I support the modern trend of creating 'designer breeds' and commercial cross breeding to fool the general public into thinking they are getting something better than a pedigree, any more than I support pedigree puppy farming.

The claim that crossbreds and mongrels have better health than pedigrees, is though not entirely without foundation. Pedigrees are more likely to come from health tested ancestors, so known hereditary defects in the breed are less likely to be carried by any particular dog but as we know, dogs carry many defects which crop up here and there and may not even be recognised as genetic. Breeding within a limited gene pool (a breed) is more likely to double up on these as well as the diseases that are breed specific.

The incidence of polygenic traits with continuous variation expression, such as hip dysplacia, OCD and other bone defects, doesn't seem to decrease with cross breeding and probably threshold traits too as the genes for these are cumulative and common to all breeds.

There is also 'hybrid vigour.' Not a myth as some would have it but a known scientific phenomenon. Increased heterozygosity (mixed up genes, for want of a better explanation) in the MHC (major histocompatibility) gene complex is said to strengthen the immune system increasing disease resistance and vigour.

Any attempt to make a breed out of a 1st cross by backcrossing or inbreeding will lose all the benefits of hybrid vigour and increase the chances of doubling up on defects as in pedigree breeding. It just depends on the selection of founder stock how healthy the resultant progeny will be.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Quoting individual cases means nothing; loads of dogs live into their late teens with out any problems, what is important is why people breed and what makes people buy. Given that we all have the best interest of dogs in general at heart, surely we can agree that breeding for money or fashion it not the best way to go. And if you breed a cross by accident or design why give it a silly name why not call it a cross.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 01:04 PM
poor dazzle is gonna keel over when they return to their thread...
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >