Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:41 PM

diarrhoea

Harvey has been suffering from diarrhoea from yesterday and it was probably something he ate but I was just wondering if there is anything that I could feed him or give him that may help this because I don’t want to give him his normal dinner because its not helping. He’s waking me up at 3am to go out and I take him but I just wanted to know if there was anything that could help him through the night of even help make his poos at bit emm.. firmer or ease his stomach.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:56 PM
You're best to starve them for 24 hrs but make sure they get plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Then introduce small meals throughout the day of boiled white rice and chicken until his stools become firm again. The idea is to give their systems a rest so he probably won't have a poo for a couple of days which is what you want really. This is as long as he is fine in himself, still cheerful and lively. If he seems off colour or depressed he may have a bug and will need to go to the vet. All the best, it shouldn't take long to get him back to normal.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:05 PM
thanks for the advice very much appreciated, he is acting his normal self just a bit calmer but im not too worried. You know the rice does it need to be white or is brown ok? just what is preferably i have both.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:14 PM
you can also give live yoghurt to get their friendly bacteria back up and running.....
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:18 PM
oh right great thanx.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
So long as he isn't being sick you can give him a small amount of kaolin to help firm up the stools. For English Setter size I give 2 1/2 mls once daily so that should help you judge how much to give, if you do go down that route.

Mine have all been poorly with Gastro Enteritis and apparently its doing the rounds, one of my boys went downhill suddenly and went off his feet with the pain. He had to have antibiotics although the others have got over it with just a light diet and the natural bio yoghurt. Hopefully this isn't what Harvey has got

Hope he's ok.