Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:08 AM

I fed dry for the 1st time in over 2 years

Been not feeling too well lately and just couldnt get to the shops the other day to get food for the dogs
But I have some kibble lying about to use as treats

So I figured a meal of kibble would be OK just the once

WOW

Usually I fill the dogs water bowl once or twice a week
That night it needed filled twice
Then on the morning walk they both were gulping down water from every puddle they could find

and pooing for britain!!

Deff not going back to that again!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Good grief ~ what an immediate reaction!

I suppose raw fresh food does contain a high percentage of water so would obviously mean less drinking, but then pooing for Britain too ~ your dogs digestive systems are obviously used to "quality" food

My dogs have never had dry food of any description from me. I used to include Dene's mixer biscuit with their morning Nature Diet but when Wilma just licked all the ND off & left the biscuit, then stopped wanting breakfast at all if it contained the mixer, I just stopped feeding it. I did wonder if she knew that dogs & grains aren't compatible ~ but then she's very partial to cake & pizza, so that knocked that theory on the head

Sorry you've not been feeling too well ~ I hope you're improving now.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:34 AM
That was one of the reasons I switched to raw, as I had read about kibble causing kidney problems in cats and dogs. My GSPs urine used to be dark orange and really strong smelling, now it's pale yellow and doesn't seem to smell much at all.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:42 AM
But the same could happen with any sudden diet change with no gradual 'switch over' period...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Been not feeling too well lately and just couldnt get to the shops the other day to get food for the dogs
But I have some kibble lying about to use as treats

So I figured a meal of kibble would be OK just the once

WOW

Usually I fill the dogs water bowl once or twice a week
That night it needed filled twice
Then on the morning walk they both were gulping down water from every puddle they could find

and pooing for britain!!

Deff not going back to that again!
The same thing happened with Oscar. With him being so skinny I started adding some dry to his raw to try and build him up a bit, never again - his poos were HUGE and God what a whiff!

Needless to say the dry is now used as occasional training treats and he gets extra tripe in his meals instead.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Good grief ~ what an immediate reaction!

I suppose raw fresh food does contain a high percentage of water so would obviously mean less drinking, but then pooing for Britain too ~ your dogs digestive systems are obviously used to "quality" food

My dogs have never had dry food of any description from me. I used to include Dene's mixer biscuit with their morning Nature Diet but when Wilma just licked all the ND off & left the biscuit, then stopped wanting breakfast at all if it contained the mixer, I just stopped feeding it. I did wonder if she knew that dogs & grains aren't compatible ~ but then she's very partial to cake & pizza, so that knocked that theory on the head

Sorry you've not been feeling too well ~ I hope you're improving now.
Lol yes mine do like the odd bit of pizza too
Ben used to be really bad eater when he was on dry, but as a one off meal he guzzled it down.
I wasnt expecting such a change - really the amount they drank worried me the most - can imagine what a difference that might make to them in summer

Originally Posted by maxine View Post
That was one of the reasons I switched to raw, as I had read about kibble causing kidney problems in cats and dogs. My GSPs urine used to be dark orange and really strong smelling, now it's pale yellow and doesn't seem to smell much at all.
Yes I can understand that now! Quite scary

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
But the same could happen with any sudden diet change with no gradual 'switch over' period...
Hmm well yes and no, I would expect loose stools if it was just a change in food, and the way mine are fed just now they get different stuff every day so really their digestive systems are not as sensitive as dogs fed only one food all the time (I have seen the results with some of my friends dogs when they get something different - and tbh I find that explosive reaction to something different quite unhelathy)

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
The same thing happened with Oscar. With him being so skinny I started adding some dry to his raw to try and build him up a bit, never again - his poos were HUGE and God what a whiff!

Needless to say the dry is now used as occasional training treats and he gets extra tripe in his meals instead.
lol yes quite a different smell too
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I have also noticed that if mine get a meal of kibble they drink far more afterwards. Also, Jessie will start kind of choking a bit and you can really see her trying to get the kibble down her throat, it must be like humans trying to eat a bunch of cream crackers!

And as for the poos, well, they do mini-mountains which stink to high heaven and I cant imagine how I ever cleared up those kind daily.