View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 05:51 PM

My JR terrier chews my Northern Inuits coat.... any suggestions?

We got both our dogs on the same day, Inca the NI was 5 months and Tonto the terrier was 10 weeks. They have a good relationship, neither is more dominant, it just depends on what the argument is about, size versus pure cheek!

But Tonto has always snuggled up to Inca and chewed her coat it night. Mainly on her back. She doesn't mind. He chews it the same way he'd chew a bone, using his back teeth, shearing off clumps. Inca's coat is very thick and fluffy and you can't really notice unless you knew it was being done.

Do you think he'll grow out of it, they're both over a year now? Or do you think its a comforter to him?

I'm a little concerned purely because he was having a bit of trouble doing his business in the garden the other day. How shall I put this? It was hanging as opposed to dropping. I had to help and then i could see why, it was pure Inca hair, like a cat's furball. It's not done that before or since and its very rare to catch him chewing, so I think its a night thing.

Any ideas/comments please?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Given Tonto's age I would imagine that this behaviour has now become a habit which he is unlikely to grow out of. If he is ingesting large quantities of hair it may cause even more problems with his digestive tract.

I would suggest distracting him each and every time that he starts doing it.

If he is targeting the hair on the bitch's back where she cannot reach to lick at herself you could try using a bitter liquid which is obtainable from a vet as an alternative/in addition to distraction techniques. If you decide on the bitters then mention to the vet what you intend to use it for, he/she may have alternative suggestions.