Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
So_Lola
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Teaching a solid 'LEAVE IT!' command is probably more affective than a muzzle. Most dogs can still eat things through a Baskerville muzzle. Granted, you probably are never going to get a highly food motivated breed like a Lab to leave food when off lead, but you should be able to train them to leave inanimate objects (rocks, etc.) alone with some patience and persistence.
i have tried that & it has'nt worked, maybe i'm not forceful enough. thats why i'm asking for help, i know i'm the one thats went wrong somewere but i'm a new dog owner & i'm finding it really hard.
can you recommened any other sites with help & advice i want to try & make this work.

thank you
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by So_Lola View Post
i have tried that & it has'nt worked, maybe i'm not forceful enough. thats why i'm asking for help, i know i'm the one thats went wrong somewere but i'm a new dog owner & i'm finding it really hard.
can you recommened any other sites with help & advice i want to try & make this work.

thank you
Have you been to training classes?
So_Lola
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Have you been to training classes?
no. i'm on a very low income so i'm doing the best i can with what i have, i know it's not a good reason,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Hi Christine as Labradork says teaching your puppy to leave it and drop it may help.

Here is how to teach the leave as described by our own 'Shadowboxer' an award winning trainer..

Place a low value treat like a bit of bread in your closed hand and allow your puppy to sniff and explore it (the treat can't be taken because your fingers are wrapped around it) . As soon as the puppy sniffs it say 'leave' but say this only once. The puppy may continue to sniff and get at the treat but ignore it until it either looks at you or moves its head fractionally away from the treat. The moment it does say 'good leave' and treat with a higher value treat than the one in your closed hand (like a piece of kibble ). Do this 3-4 times in one session. Repeat once or twice a day until the dog automatically turns his head away from what is offered. You then up the value of the offered food (to kibble) , but make sure that the reward is also upped (like cheese or chicken).
If your dog has already picked something up you need to get the dog to 'drop it'.
Here is a good video showing how to do this. (You can of course also use clicker training to teach both things ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvPnaYUZeo

There are no quick fixes, training a dog takes time and patience but if you are consistent you will get there in the end
Kitsu
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2010, 01:18 AM
warm up hot dogs (Dogs LOVE hotdogs) and put something on the ground, if he approaches, say LEAVE IT, if he does, give him a small peice of hot dog, if he doesn't take the item from him and say NO, in a firm voice, do not yell or thats the only way the dog will listen. Try this with many things, when he ignores the item completely and goes for a toy, give him lots of praise and another peice of hot dog. Since he wont react well to toys as you say, then treat training would be best. eventually you can wean him away from the treats and give him praise training, but slowly. Warm hot dogs are really fragrant, so you need to keep them in a plastic bag that seals when your not giving him one. Try this before you do ANYTHING rash.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Most attempts to train a dog not to do something when you aren't around fail.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2