Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
from your posts i would truly consider first on whether you are settled now, and are not going to have to move from anywhere or split up with the partner any time soon, just so nothing that has already happened to you happens again.
Must say, I agree with this & if I were you I'd spend a lot of time considering both of the above points before even considering what breed you'd like - sorry

Obviously it isn't your fault that your ex sold Milo behind your back but are you really truly settled enough now to get another dog? If I remember correctly you lost Milo roughly a year ago so (sorry if I'm wrong) you haven't been with your new partner very long, as you were still with your ex when he took care of Milo for you? It's not nice to think about but what happens if you and your new partner split up and you have to move back in with your Grandmother again? You'll be in the same position as you were with Milo, rehoming a young dog or leaving him in the care of others because of your Grandma's dog.

As for whether or not your family liking a breed should be a big issue, it sounds to me like it might be for you. From what you've said, you really want your dog to be included in family get togethers and it'd be foolish to get a breed that your family obviously (Rightly or wrongly) have a big issue with. By all means, get whatever breed you want because you're an adult & it is your dog but be aware that if you get a breed your family doesn't like, there's a strong chance you won't be allowed to bring it to family gatherings.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
I do apologise my ex stole my dog and I'm unable to him back. Obviously you know how heartbroken I am about it how I cried myself to sleep for months. I understand what you mean when you say that as I've said I'd give anything to have him back I did not sell him or give him away he was sold behind my back. If that hadn't of happened I would still have Milo and he would be with me for the rest of his life.

Oh and the reason I'm getting wound up about the family thing is because my family is very close always have get togethers, always round at each others house parties/meals etc and people take their dogs. I don't understand how being annoyed my dog wouldn't be included in all this when the rest of the families dogs are such as Christmas etc makes me not 'adult' enough to own one?
Well, if they really create such a big deal about it then prove them otherwise. Get the dog of your dreams, train it every day to become as others have said an ambassador of the breed. Wait for your moment to shine at somewhere say a dog show and prove them wrong.
On the other hand, i would encourage you to perhaps think very very carefully. What if you did take on another dog and you managed to somehow get your old dog back? that could create problems. I would recommend also perhaps looking at the american bulldog rescue, they are completely inundated with dogs of all ages from sadly people who take them on and then can no longer care for them/cope with them. There not the easiest of breeds by any meaning.

When it comes to christmas etc, my dogs don't come with me around friends/relatives. Damn if they did, nobody would get any christmas dinner! It was bad enough when they raided the last bbq a fortnight or so ago at my friends.... I had to go and walk miles *as i had a cursed drink for the first time in forever* to the local store to buy a new pack of sausages. Friends found it hilarious, dogs found it amazing they not only got to steal the still frozen sausages AND have a swim in the pool, that they then got treated to a nice walk to the shops and back.
Still............. can now look back and laugh. A lot.
Mine are not ambassdors of any breed by the way.........
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4