Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Of course its respectful - you have been invited to the main dog show of the year -

precisely

you have worked hard to get your dog groomed to its best,

precisely

stands to right the owner shouldnt look a mess,

why would you be looking a mess if you wore neat clean jeans and trainers, for example?

also need to wear a colour that shows the dog off, not something that clashes.

doesnt the dog show the dog off?

The people showing are meant to be well respected breeders, handlers - they are promoting their breed, its nice to leave a good impression.
why would they not be any of these if they wore neat clean jeans and trainers?

what if the handler or breeder is not well respected (breeding from sick dogs, for example), yets wear a suit?
are they regarded as having shown respect and leaving a good impression?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
why would they not be any of these if they wore neat clean jeans and trainers?

what if the handler or breeder is not well respected (breeding from sick dogs, for example), yets wear a suit?
are they regarded as having shown respect and leaving a good impression?
when the dog is stood on the table or on the floor its the colour of your top, trousers that are the kinda 'back drop'.
Of course the dog shows, but the handler is just as important in getting the best out of the dog.
People can wear what they want, I dont see the issue with handlers wanting to look smart and respectable.

I am not even going to bother answering the last bit of your post..
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 04:09 PM
The judge may well have an opinion on what handlers are wearing, but handling your self your not meant to be having conversations with the judges so I couldnt tell you how they feel. Each will be different I guess.

Thats interesting, i didnt know about the conversation ban

It doesnt matter to me if the judge is bothered about being respected or not, its nice to show respect..These judges will be people that are very knowledgable and known in the dog world, its nice to leave a good impression, and look atleast like you have made an effort.

Some handlers do wear jeans and/or trainers at smaller shows. But there will always be handlers that like to make a little more effort for the bigger shows.
Im not too sure how your latter paragraph doesnt equal your former paragraph?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:11 PM
what would you wear if you was going to an interview? Jeans and trainers?, smart trousers and a top? Even though its not about what your wearing, more about your skills, qualifications and grades? Its respectful, you have made an effort.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Like DD said, its completely down to the handler what they wear, however people like to make an effort. i make an effort everywhere else i go, dont see why it should be different at a dog show
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 04:14 PM
when the dog is stood on the table or on the floor its the colour of your top, trousers that are the kinda 'back drop'.

i didnt know about the table top bit. does that mean if your dog was brwon and you were dressed in brown, your judge could miss some subtle bits and you would loose points?

Of course the dog shows, but the handler is just as important in getting the best out of the dog.
People can wear what they want, I dont see the issue with handlers wanting to look smart and respectable.

i dont see the issue either, i think its good they look smart and respectable. i just curious why handlers dont wear clean neat jeans and trainers?

I am not even going to bother answering the last bit of your post..
oh? how come? that was just an example.
as you said the handlers or breeders at crufts will be well respected, so should wear suits?
i didnt get the logic.
so i wondered what if the handler isnt well respected?
ie, breeds form sick dogs, yanks and pullls when training ringcraft, that sort of thing?
doesnt respect due to what they do therefore become more important to what they wear?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
as you said the handlers or breeders at crufts will be well respected, so should wear suits?
Actually I didnt ... I said these are meant to be well respected breeders/handlers and its nice to make an effort, I did not say they 'should' wear a suit.
Of course the respect comes from their actions not what they wear, I have not said different. There will also be people that are not respected in the breed for what ever reason - wearing a suit wont make them respected and I have not any one wearing a suit will be respected, I said it shows respect towards the judge.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:20 PM
i didnt get the logic.
so i wondered what if the handler isnt well respected?
ie, breeds form sick dogs, yanks and pullls when training ringcraft, that sort of thing?
doesnt respect due to what they do therefore become more important to what they wear?
a dog wont "loose points" because of a brown top, you dont really get points, but if the dog was brown, and the top was brown, the dogs outline wouldnt be as clean or stand out as much as say a brown dog and a white top.

not every one wears suits, its just nice to, crufts is special for exhibitors and they like to get dressed up, also there could be that chance you could be seen on tv

as for people who breed from sick dogs, wouldnt really see many of them at crufts, as the people that generally do that dont show, as theyre in it for profit.

and the yanking pulling the dog thing, some people do some people dont, just because someone doesnt like that "method" (if you can call it that) doesnt mean they dont wear suits.

its not about status or who is good or bad, its wanting to look nice because crufts is a special show to exhibitors as it takes alot to get there.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
That seems very doable to me.

I didn't mention flyball or agility because they are very different. My expectation would be to be able to walk off from any event with my dog around me off the lead---that is what I used to do but I fully accept that with some dogs it is very difficult especially somewhere like Crufts.

rune
would you expect 30 or so Goldies to run round the ring in a line together at the start so the judge can assess movement. Just ridiculous
And I've lost count of the number of times at agility comps the handler has had to chase the dog to get it back on a lead. Am I the only one who shows on here who's sick to the back teeth of people with little or no understanding of what we do trying to tell us how to do it better.
(By the way that was a general comment having just read the thread not aimed at you Lyn)
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
would you expect 30 or so Goldies to run round the ring in a line together at the start so the judge can assess movement. Just ridiculous
And I've lost count of the number of times at agility comps the handler has had to chase the dog to get it back on a lead. Am I the only one who shows on here who's sick to the back teeth of people with little or no understanding of what we do trying to tell us how to do it better.
(By the way that was a general comment having just read the thread not aimed at you Lyn)
nope i agree with you. like i said the flyball dogs wear harnesses which handlers keep hold of till their dog goes for the ball, no one slates them for having hold of their dog though because of course when its not showing "its different"
Page 11 of 28 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »