Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WeeScotsChick
New Member!
Female 

15-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Strange Urinating In House When Never Done Before

Hey everyone a newbie here!

We have a black Labrador Retriever 3 yrs old, we got him back in June last year from a friend my partner knew, when he owned him he kept home out the back garden in a Kennel and i was a bit iffy about how he was going to be at living in the house, well it is luxury to him now!! Anyway he has be brilliant at doing his toilet when out walking or let out just before us going to bed etc and two weeks ago out of the blue he just lifted his leg at our living room door and released himself and ovbousioly we gave him a telling off and told him no that is bad and put him outside! After that he never done it again until this morning i woke up to find my little boys bedroom door opened and there it was a big wet patch on bed his bit toy box and you could smell it was dog wee so again i took him to the spot and point him nose to it and told him no and gave him a tap sent him out the back!! He is usually really good and i dont understand why he did this hes in all day while we are at work and touch wood has never done it! He is walked twice at night and out every hr out the back! Any ideas what it could be!

He is a very affectionate dog too wants to sit and always wants to give you licks when we first got him this was excessive but hes calmed down now that he know there is no need for it every 5 mins I suppose that could be down to being stuck in a kennel!

Any ideas and tips are helpful

Thanks
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 03:27 PM
It sounds like he has started to mark certain places with his scent. I have heard that neutering can make them less territorial but I would have a word with your vet in case he's got a bladder infection or something and also about the neutering.

Also, unless you catch him lifting his leg there is no point in telling him off after the event as he has no idea what you are going on about.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi
He won't have a clue what you tapped him on the nose for...any praise or telling off has to happen within 2 seconds for a dog to appreciate what it's about, so your dog will just think you are cross with him for some other reason.
The very best thing you can do when you find an accident is totally ignore it, just clean it and say nothing. If you use biological washing powder to clean up it shouldn't leave a smell where your dog will recognise the place as his area to go to the loo and be attracted to it.
Is he entire? If I were you I would pop to the vets to check if he has a bladder infection(take a fresh urine sample with you, preferably from his first morning wee...lovely i know) or, if he's entire, to check if he is having prostate problems.
Do you know if there could be a bitch in season in your area???
WeeScotsChick
New Member!
Female 

15-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi! Thanks for the replies! He is going to the vet on Monday as hes had an infection in his paw and is on antibiotics and steriods so I think ill mention it to them! Does neutering a dog change them in personality wise etc???
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 05:10 PM
No it doesn't at all...and sometimes it doesn't even change their behaviour. It depends on the dog tbh.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Good luck with your boy I know how frustrating it is,as I have had a similar problem here.

As others have said it is probably "scent marking" but best to mention it to your vet first.
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2008, 05:19 PM
You mentioned that he is on steroids, these can make a dog very thirsty in which case he will need to go more often. Have you noticed him drinking more?
It sounds more like marking to me but could be something to do with the steroids. I would mention it to your vet.
WeeScotsChick
New Member!
Female 

15-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey everyone thank you for all your replies it was very much appreciated! Im going to say to the vet on monday see what they say and hopefully they come up with some answer which i think could be similar to the ones youve all given me! Once again thank you!

Michelle