Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2006, 11:40 AM

Help!! Puppy urinating in the house.

my room mate has 3 months old puppy Like. he wees on the carpet every time he steps on it. even when we come from walk, he runs in my or her room and wees it is obvious that he does this on purpose, as we take him outside very often 2-3 hours as he is only 3 months old. he also has Jack to play with him all the time and a kitten named Kitty. Anja(my roommate) also pays him attention and teaches him..... what to do? is he just norty and will these things pass by? are we doing something wrong?
please help!
Jamie.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2006, 11:57 AM
i took yoda out when he was a puppy every half hour to every hour at first. seriously praised him when he peed. made a huge happy deal of it. as he got older i moved it to every hour and so on until he knew to go out to pee.i also crate trained him, i swear this helps with house training. at bed time he is in there and whines to go out to pee and again a huge happy fuss was made with treats included. i still give him treats for it although he was fully trained ( as in house training ) by two three months. after that he very very rarely had accidents. clean your carpets and close your bedroom doors.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Yep definitely take Like outside more often.... every 45 min or less...and make sure he wees outside and gets a lot of praise, your goal is to make his tail wag

Clean the carpets with biological washing powder in warm water, or a solution of vinegar and water, that's the only way to get rid of the smell (you might not smell it but the dogs can) Don't use any cleaners with ammonia as it encourages them to go back to the same spot.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi JP ...
The puppy doesn't 'do it on purpose' puppies are not capable of calculated behaviour although it may seem that way they soil when and where they need to until they are old enough to have control over their bodily functions and have been housetrained. I would say this puppy has not been housetrained properly, also it is not old enough to have control so I would clean the soiled areas well to eliminate all trace of the smell and start again from scratch with the housetraining ...here is an article that may help.

Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by JacekPacek
my room mate has 3 months old puppy Like. he wees on the carpet every time he steps on it. even when we come from walk, he runs in my or her room and wees it is obvious that he does this on purpose, as we take him outside very often 2-3 hours as he is only 3 months old. he also has Jack to play with him all the time and a kitten named Kitty. Anja(my roommate) also pays him attention and teaches him..... what to do? is he just norty and will these things pass by? are we doing something wrong?
please help!
Hi,
May i just say that he isn't doing it on purpose although you probably think he is,He is still very young and some pups arn't completly house trained until they are 7-8 months old.
My advice would be to take him outside every 30 mins and if he goes make a huge fuss of him and give maybe a treat.If he comes back in and goes i would tell him a firm no and imediatly put him back outside,and stay outside with him for 5-10 mins.
With a little bit of time and patience you will crack it.
Hope everything goes well for you,let us know how you get on.
Sal
cliffrbrts
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-01-2006, 12:53 PM
hi
our little Zina is 14 wekks now and is still not house traind fully, we do take her outside regular and praise haer constantly for "pee pee" i know how you feel its so frustrating, i dont know if shes doing it indoors to please us now. Bill used to knock the door with his paw to let us know he needed to go. perseverance and more perseverance
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2006, 12:59 PM
thank you very much for advices
we will at least know what to do
we tought that ke wants attention and that this is why he pees
well, stupid me
thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by JacekPacek
thank you very much for advices
we will at least know what to do
we tought that ke wants attention and that this is why he pees
well, stupid me
thanks
JacekPacek puppies do sometimes pee when they get attention, this can be due to excitement/being unsure how to behave correctly coupled with an immature bladder