Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 12:28 PM

A question about seasons/breeding?

I have a very unpredictable bitch in season at the moment.
She never has the same length season each time. We are on day 17, my other dog had from Saturday been very interested in her. It has waned somewhat but not sure if thats because he gets told off. She has not once shown him any interest.
Today she is still bleeding but not as swollen. Do you think she is past the period to mate or do you think now is the time?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
very hard to tell without knowing her but if he is showing an interest then its a good sign ...you say she is still bleeding is that bright red blood ?
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
My bitch had 2 seasons before she was spayed- in my experience she wouldnt accept mating while she was bleeding- the fertile period is approximately 7-10 days AFTER bleeding stops
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
one of my bitches bleeds continually no discernable change in blood loss/colour. Progesterone testing told me she was ovulating on day four of her season, she was mated that evening and produced 14 pups!

there are no absolutes with bitches and breeding..and it is wise to be as vigilant from start to finish.

hth

D.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
one of mine bleeds till day 21 and is has been mated before on 11 and 13 and produced a litter .........
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I guess all bitches are different- A bit like we gals
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie
I guess all bitches are different- A bit like we gals
they sure are ...........
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
My Jasmine mates on day 9 & 11, the rest normally on days 11 & 13......but Daisy was mated on day 20 & 22 and got pregnant, she was bleeding all the way through.

It's normally when the colour changes to a straw colour and her vulva is bigger and soft looking when she is ready for mating.

A friend of mine has an experienced stud dog, that point blankly refused to mate with one of her girls even though she was at her peak, she ended up taking her bitch out to stud and she was mated successfully and is now in whelp, but her own dog didn't show any interest what so ever, so I wouldn't rely on your dog letting you know.

How about getting her pre-mate tested?
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone for all your advice. I rang Inca as I was getting a bit worried I may of been too late.
Sorry I didnt reply to anyone but I had set off already for a 4 hour drive to see her beau.
She successfully tied with him, so hopefully she was still ovulating to have accepted the sperm.
Think I cut it a bit fine.
I will keep you informed.
An extra special thankyou to Inca you were a great help.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Wish you very best of luck, and look forward to news of the safe arrival of little paws
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >