Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:28 PM

Don't laugh but.. wigs!

So I made the very stupid mistake of getting my hair cut 3 days before a university interview it's really not a pretty sight!

I asked for a pixie cut and the lady has cut it very very short, about an inch all over, no fringe! She started at the back so I didn't know how short she'd gone until she got to the front, by which point it was too late and I didn't really know what to say, so (stupidly) just let her carry on, paid and left!

I'm considering getting a wig and just trimming it into a little bob and wearing that to my interview and on a daily basis until my hair has grown a little bit. Has anyone had any experience of wearing wigs and how to keep them in place effectively? Would wearing an alice band do the trick or do I need like.. wig glue?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Oh dear, im a chicken at hairdressers so I just dont go
You might get used to the look? It might not be too bad just dramatic because you are not used to the change

I have never worn a wig so sorry I cant help, but a friend of mine does on nights out with no problems (no idea how tho)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Hey go with it...I bet it looks better than you think.

New hairstyle, makeup and confidence....you'll sail through
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Oh dear, im a chicken at hairdressers so I just dont go
You might get used to the look? It might not be too bad just dramatic because you are not used to the change

I have never worn a wig so sorry I cant help, but a friend of mine does on nights out with no problems (no idea how tho)
I think you're right and it's partly because of the dramatic change but also a bit because I've got a bit of a plump face so having really short hair makes my cheeks look even chubbier

Well, if your friend can do it on nights out (How does one manage that? I can barely keep my own hair looking good after a night at the pub ) then there might be hope for me yet!

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Hey go with it...I bet it looks better than you think.

New hairstyle, makeup and confidence....you'll sail through
Haha thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm not one for make up usually because I'm too lazy but perhaps I'll give it a go for the interview!
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2011, 07:52 AM
I wore a wig for my brothers wedding as I wanted something more dramatic, and although it looked great, I felt quite concious of it and was scared it would slip of.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Get a hat instead. Lots of people wear hats now, so it won`t look odd.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:24 AM
It can be quite hard to wear a wig if you already have hair!
The shorter the better really!
Proper wigs are supplied with a 'stocking' that fits over your head/hair, and the wig sits on top, and it can become really hot and sweaty!

Just be brave! I'm sure it doesn't look as bad as you think!
I'm currently a baldy (diff reasons obviously), and I wear a hat when it's cold (I have a selection of animal beanie hats lol), and go bald when inside or if it's a bit warmer!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Just go with what you have - it'll look quirky! They'll want someone who is quirky! Let your personality out too..

My hairdresser is a school friend's older sister - whom I know of out of the hair salon, so we have a banter, she'll hit be with the brush, spray me in the face - everything, but then again I have her do my hair all the time so it's better than someone I don't know
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 12:08 PM
How about trying some different makeup styles to see if it helps? I know what you mean, I have a round face and little chipmunk cheeks so I stick to longer hair styles, but you may be able to take advantage of highlighters, blushers and bronzers to give your face a bit more of a chiselled look and make it look a little slimmer? Maybe someone at a makeup counter in somewhere like Debenhams or similar would be able to help? Or there's loads of instructional videos on Youtube for different makeup techniques/styles.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I went shopping today after college, just to have a look at the wigs but none of them were really any good and the ones that were were way out of my price range! I went to talk to some hairdressers as well to see if they could maybe put in some extensions or a bonded weave but my hair is just too short for anything.

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I have a selection of animal beanie hats lol
This is what I did instead of getting a wig They're just so cute with their little ears!

Krlyr - I actually went to the Debenhams make up section today and topped up on a few products so I think I'm just gonna try some new make up and wait for the hair to grow!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >