Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 06:11 AM

Serious Help needed with smell in Garden

I have a small lawn which I had returfed this year and I have fenced it off so the dogs cannot wee on it and kill it again. That leaves a largish patio.
Shady will not wee anywhere but on grass so I have managed to fool her by taking up a 7' x5' area of the patio and putting down a piece of artificial turf which she and Kyiro use for thier toilet.
I clean up immeadietly they do a poo and everyday I hose down the artificial turf but the smell now is disgusting, even sitting in the house the smell wafts in. As you walk up my driveway towards my back gate the smell hits you. I have neighbours all round and I know they are going to complain soon as it must be awful for them sitting in thier garden.
I have tried putting a mixture of water and vinegar in a watering can and going over it daily with that but still the smell is back within an hour and its costing me a small fortune in vinegar. I have also tried using dettol but that makes it even worse.
Can anyone please tell what I can do to stop it stinking like this, I could even smell it through my open bedroom window last night as I lay in bed and i really don't want to let them back down to ruin my lawn after all the work thats gone into it this year.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-08-2010, 06:41 AM
I think the artificial turf may be trapping water underneath it, which would explain the increasing smell
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 06:44 AM
There is just soil underneath so surely it would just soak away into that, wouldn't it?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 06:56 AM
I`d put some gravel round the edge as a soakaway then chuck a bucket of diluted Jeyes Fluid over the lot every few days. If you`ve got no grass round the edge of your artificial turf don`t bother with the gravel.
I use this on my (paved) garden to get rid of the urine smell.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:04 AM
I was going to say Jeyes fluid, as that is what we use to clean our patio/concrete down, as Jamie enjoys peeing on the concrete and boy it stinks!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2010, 08:11 AM
What does it smell like ?
It could well be that it's just not draining away and dilute urine is sitting in the soil and creating a stink, does it smell stagnant. If so then the answer is probably to dig up the soil and replace with about a foot of hardcore and gravel to aid the drainage.
You wont know unless you take it up and have a good look at the soil.
I hate the smell of Jeyes.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Yea, the wee is getting trapped underneath the turf. Nothing worse that the smell of pee Try Jeyes fluid
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Agree with the Jeyes fluid.

You could lift the artificial grass and get a garden fork and dig and loosen the soil or dig holes in it like spiking it so it runs away it sound like it is getting trapped somewhere.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Echo what has been said about Jeyes fluid

We laid an artificial lawn two weeks ago and the bloke in the shop we bought it from, said to water in every few weeks with a weak mix of jeyes fluid.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I thought Jeyes was poisnonous to dogs. Isn't there a warning on the tin to say keep dogs away from treated areas
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >