Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Allergy? I'm worried!

ok, a wee while ago (the beginning of november) jake developed a very red right eye (not the actually eyeball, just right above the eye), and the fur began to fall out above the eye. then the fur fell out above the left eye too. I took him to the vet, and the vet thinks it was just coz he was rubbing his face coz he had an ear infection, although I thought it could possibly be an allergy. So he got some antihistamines and ear drops. They ear infection cleared up and the redness in his eyes went, but the hair only grew back a wee bit, and less grew back above his right eye.

I noticed the other day, that his right eye was starting to go red again. So I started giving him antihistamines just in case it was a wee allergy he was getting, and planned to take him to the vets on Monday. But yesterday, his eye got much worse, and his left eye has gone the same. All around the eye looks red, and some bits look like that are bleeding, but its not… if that makes sense lol. And it looks wet and slimy… again, if that makes sense … and today, I have noticed it is around his mouth a wee bit too, so will be keeping an eye on that getting worse.

My mum also noticed that on the underside of his eyes, it is very dry and is all red… I just don’t know what going on with him… could this be an allergy?? I will be calling the vets first thing on Monday. He is completely fine within himself, and just his normal jake. But he does keep rubbing his face and whining, but that has lessened since he has been having the antihistamines… I so worried about him!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Lauren, it's really difficult to speculate on Jakes problem from the description you have given because it could be a number of things including wet eczema or a bacterial skin infection.
You really need to see the vet ASAP.

Try to distract Jake if he is rubbing the area xx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lauren, it's really difficult to speculate on Jakes problem from the description you have given because it could be a number of things including wet eczema or a bacterial skin infection.
You really need to see the vet ASAP.

Try to distract Jake if he is rubbing the area xx
thanks, ive taken some pics so will upload them to show his eyes and mouth.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
here are the pics...

left eye

right eye

and his mouth, although it is only a wee bit red, im worried it will get worse like his eyes did. it also looks worse when looked at closer but couldnt get a pic like that
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 08:29 PM
ouch!! poor jake, that really does look sore! minihaha gave the right advice there, he needs to see a vet but you know that.

i'd be tempted to bathe his eyes with a cooled boiled water solution in the meantime, but if anyone thinks that's a bad idea then maybe wait for more advice.

poor little man, i'm sure that once he's been to the vets he'll be right as rain. xxxx
Meg
Supervisor

02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Lauren, in this instance I wouldn't touch it at all but would see the vet ASAP.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi Lauren, in this instance I wouldn't touch it at all but would see the vet ASAP.
it was just a thought but i think you're probably right.
Meg
Supervisor

02-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Lauren how old is Jake, about 6 months? I really don't want to speculate but there is a condition puppies can get which can cause similar symptoms to those you describe (though it could also be the things already mentioned) . Don't worry I am sure your little Jake will be fine, he just needs to see a vet . xx

ETA Just noticed another thread which says Jake hasn't been eating well the last few days so he really does need to see the vet soon...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
ouch!! poor jake, that really does look sore! minihaha gave the right advice there, he needs to see a vet but you know that.

i'd be tempted to bathe his eyes with a cooled boiled water solution in the meantime, but if anyone thinks that's a bad idea then maybe wait for more advice.

poor little man, i'm sure that once he's been to the vets he'll be right as rain. xxxx
yeah, it does look sore and is when he rubs it... but when he isnt rubbing it, he doesnt seem bothered by it at all... i cant wait to get him to the vets.

Lauren how old is Jake, about 6 months? I really don't want to speculate but there is a condition puppies can get which can cause similar symptoms to those you describe (though it could also be the things already mentioned) . Don't worry I am sure your little Jake will be fine, he just needs to see a vet . xx

ETA Just noticed another thread which says Jake hasn't been eating well the last few days so he really does need to see the vet soon...
he just turned 10 months on thursday. whats the condition they can get? could that still be it at his age?

not sure whats up with his appetite, i think he is just getting fussy coz he was getting lots of tasty things over christmas. he had some beef yesterday, and then later had some chicken and he polished them both off.
Meg
Supervisor

02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
yeah, it does look sore and is when he rubs it... but when he isnt rubbing it, he doesnt seem bothered by it at all... i cant wait to get him to the vets.

he just turned 10 months on thursday. whats the condition they can get? could that still be it at his age?

not sure whats up with his appetite, i think he is just getting fussy coz he was getting lots of tasty things over christmas. he had some beef yesterday, and then later had some chicken and he polished them both off.
Hi Lauren the thing I was thinking of is normally seen in younger puppies and makes them a bit poorly and off their food. As I said it really is best not to speculate, only the vet can tell you what is wrong .

I guess the vet may give Jake a short course of steroids and some antibiotics, don't worry I am sure he will be fine .
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »